Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mini differential IR height sensor board

Posted by dc42 
Re: Mini differential IR height sensor board
October 14, 2016 01:31PM
Hi Jerry, I think you need to configure it as a fixed probe, but I can't help you beyond that because I haven't used Marlin for two years. Try asking in The Firmware - Mainstream section.

Delta printer calibration calculator, mini IR Z probe, and colour touch screen control panel: [escher3d.com]

Large delta printer, and other 3D printer blog postings: [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]

Full disclosure: I have a financial interest in sales of the Panel Due, Mini IR height sensor, and Duet WiFi/Duet Ethernet.
October 14, 2016 03:14PM
Hey you wordpress site shows a v 1.2 of this board? Is that released and/or available? Whats the difference between that and v 1.1 board?
October 15, 2016 10:57AM
Version 1.2 uses SMD optical components and works with a wider range of reflectivity of the bed surface. They have been shipping for a few weeks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2016 11:00AM by dc42.

Delta printer calibration calculator, mini IR Z probe, and colour touch screen control panel: [escher3d.com]

Large delta printer, and other 3D printer blog postings: [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]

Full disclosure: I have a financial interest in sales of the Panel Due, Mini IR height sensor, and Duet WiFi/Duet Ethernet.
October 17, 2016 09:29PM
dc42
Version 1.2 uses SMD optical components and works with a wider range of reflectivity of the bed surface. They have been shipping for a few weeks.

Does this version of the board produce more constant results across different parts of the bed? (i.e. margin of error reduced across different points).
October 21, 2016 05:22PM
Hello David,

I bought several of your different sensors for my ormerod and one of your mini sensors a while back probably 18 months or so. I have only just got round to incorporating the mini sensor into my new coreXY, I have a Duet 0.6 left over which I have used for this. As per the instructions on your website I connect the power to the sensor from the extruder endstop connector and the out pin to the AD12 pin (6th pin across from the ethernet connector end on the row nearest the processor.

So I think it is setup correctly, Multimeter shows 4.25v on the power lines, I thought this should be 3.3v from the board layout displayed in Kicad showing extruder connector.
However, the red LED lights up continuously, there is no flashing at any time.
Web interface shows a value of 715 which never changes.

Is the board toast in your opinion or is there some other debug I can try to see what miss-configuration I might have made?

Lloyd
October 22, 2016 12:52AM
If the LED is on permanently but dim, this usually means there is no 3.3V or 5V power to the sensor. Please measure the power between the top end of the inductor L1 on the sensor and the ground test pad which is above the D2 legend. If you are getting 4.25V between them, send me a PM with your invoice number and I will replace the sensor.

However, if the 3.3V rail on your Duet is at 4.25V then you need to fix that because the SAM processor won't like being run at 4.25V.

October 22, 2016 09:03AM
Hi

Interestingly, the 12V LED power supply from ebay was setup to provide 15v from the manufacturer. I have never actually looked at this I just assumed a 12v PSU did as it advertised.
With 15v the Duet regulators produced the 4.25v on the 3.3v line.
So I turned the preset pot down and unfortunately, this only reduced the voltage to 13.5v and still left the 3.3v line at 4.25v,

I suspect but have no proof, the regulator for the 5v and then 3.3v lines saturate at somewhere about 12.5v and then clamps the output of the 3.3v line at 4.25v

If this is the case then other people who have turned this pot on their power supplies up to 14.5v to get better heating times etc, may be running their SAM processors and 3.3v logic at 4.25v instead.

As you say probably not a good idea long term.

I then removed J9, which forces the Duet to use the USB to power the duet and low and behold the 3.3v supply is now 3.3v

Needless to say, I will be investing in a better quality PSU which can provide 12v when requested.

Lloyd
October 22, 2016 09:52AM
Hi Lloyd,

The Duet is quite happy with up to 30V power, so 15V is no problem for it. But it sounds to me that the 3.3V regulator on your Duet is probably faulty and should be replaced. With USB power there is an additional diode in the circuit, which would account for the 3.3V rail being nearer the correct voltage.

David

October 22, 2016 11:02AM
Hi

ok, for the moment I have plugged a mains to 5v usb charger in to run the Duet from the USB socket and that seems to provide the correct voltages etc.

Lloyd
May 08, 2017 09:54PM
Hey

I know this is a 3 year-old post but would but I want to use this to connect to an arduino so just print out the distance and i will adjust till the desired distance is reached. will this set-up work?

Also I have a mirror as my build plate will it work on the mirror?

thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2017 09:57PM by bshady3.
May 09, 2017 12:53AM
You can buy the sensor from me here [escher3d.com] or in the USA from Filastruder.

May 09, 2017 11:05PM
will this work on a mirror bed?
May 09, 2017 11:15PM
Mirror is one of the few surfaces we advise against. See section "Bed surface" at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com].

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login