Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mini differential IR height sensor board

Posted by dc42 
Re: Mini differential IR height sensor board
August 03, 2015 08:08PM
Put me down on one those orders. To the US.
August 05, 2015 11:33AM
I forgot to ask will I need to make my own wiring harness or does this come with one?
August 08, 2015 09:37AM
Hello, I am interested in your card. I sent you a PM.
August 09, 2015 05:36AM
zaccom
I forgot to ask will I need to make my own wiring harness or does this come with one?

I supply a connector, but you need to make your own wiring harness. For an extra charge I could make one for you, but I would need to know what controller electronics you use, and how long the wires need to be to reach your electronics.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 10, 2015 03:26PM
Two items of news:

1. I am pleased to announce that E3D has chosen my mini differential IR sensor as the sensor upgrade for their BigBox 3D printer, subject to reaching their £200k funding stretch goal. See [www.kickstarter.com] for more.

2. Customers in the USA will soon be able to buy the mini IR sensors from a local distributor. More information to follow next week.

I have just 7 unallocated sensors at present. I have started ordering parts for another manufacturing batch.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

August 12, 2015 10:02AM
dc42
zaccom

I supply a connector, but you need to make your own wiring harness. For an extra charge I could make one for you, but I would need to know what controller electronics you use, and how long the wires need to be to reach your electronics.

I am using the Duet Board, I will make the wiring harness just was wondering. Have you tried to put one of these on a The Fisher kit?
August 12, 2015 10:30AM
zaccom
dc42
zaccom

I am using the Duet Board, I will make the wiring harness just was wondering. Have you tried to put one of these on a The Fisher kit?

No, I don't have a Fisher (even though the Fischer runs my fork of RepRapFirmware). Is there room for it on the Fisher print head?

August 13, 2015 01:50PM
How much would it cost including shipping to Denmark? Looks really interesting. Could use 2.

Is E3D going to sell them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 01:50PM by dintid.
August 13, 2015 03:52PM
dintid
How much would it cost including shipping to Denmark? Looks really interesting. Could use 2.

Current pricing including shipping is at [forums.reprap.org]. I don't know whether E3D will sell them separately, I guess it will depend on whether they need all the ones they take to satisfy demand for the BigBox sensor upgrade, or they have some left over.

- David

August 17, 2015 07:02AM
dc42
dintid

Current pricing including shipping is at [forums.reprap.org]. I don't know whether E3D will sell them separately, I guess it will depend on whether they need all the ones they take to satisfy demand for the BigBox sensor upgrade, or they have some left over.

- David
Ohh, don't know how I could miss that post on the first page!

I would like to buy 2. How do I go about doing that?

Regards,
Morten
Denmark
August 17, 2015 09:16AM
dintid
I would like to buy 2. How do I go about doing that?

Just send me a PM containing the email address you use for PayPal.

August 19, 2015 04:52PM
Any update on availability thru your U.S. distributor?
August 19, 2015 06:20PM
crussty
Any update on availability thru your U.S. distributor?

Boards are on the way to my US distributor. I'm just waiting for the word from him to make an announcement here.

August 19, 2015 11:27PM
Thanks David, anxiously waiting. I have been wanting an IR solution that works with glass for a long time!
August 20, 2015 09:39PM
Im interested in a board, but I am located in the US. Would it be easier to order one straight through you or wait till your distributor opens up? Im not in a rush, but I'd rather not wait a month to get it.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
August 22, 2015 04:34PM
Do you have another batch coming up for sale?
August 22, 2015 04:50PM
ElmoC
Do you have another batch coming up for sale?

Yes, I have boards in stock now. Send me a PM stating which country you need the board shipped to if you are interested in buying one.

August 22, 2015 04:52PM
gmh39
Im interested in a board, but I am located in the US. Would it be easier to order one straight through you or wait till your distributor opens up? Im not in a rush, but I'd rather not wait a month to get it.

If you can wait a few days, you will be able to buy them from my newly-appointed US distributor. I'll post an announcement in this thread when I have further news.

August 24, 2015 03:57PM
I am pleased to announce that mini differential IR height sensor boards are now also available from Filastruder i the USA. Their product page is here [www.filastruder.com]. For now at least, I will continue to ship directly to customers outside the USA and Canada. Filastruder ships them with the same connectors and screws that I supply, as pictured here.

August 24, 2015 06:31PM
Two thumbs up!!!!
August 25, 2015 04:16AM
crussty
Two thumbs up!!!!

Thanks!

Further news: E3D has announced that all of their BigBox 3D printers will include one of my IR sensors, not just printers with the sensor upgrade package. So I will be busy testing boards for a day or two!

August 25, 2015 10:26AM
Congratulations on the BigBox and Filastruder.

I'm eagerly awaiting my BigBox.

Filastruder is an excellent company to deal with and I've already ordered a sensor from them.
August 26, 2015 03:58PM
Hi David,
thanks for your IR height sensor board. Fast delivery, super. I am testing it on a micrometer rig, on smoked glass 4mm thick with al. backing. It needs the black paper between aluminium and glass. Without it the distance drops from 3.5mm to 2mm. I am getting 0.04mm band of uncertainty - led flickers from no light to solid ON. And there is no hysteresis. This is just by looking on the LED, not checking the output pin is that OK? Maybe on the actual printer's Z axis it will not matter. I just wanted to see what it actually does, before I mount it on the carriage. Is there some elegant means of mounting it adjustable for this 1.5mm height above nozzle? I am thinking about changing effectors with various nozzle height.
August 26, 2015 04:16PM
Has anyone tried a black (or dark colored) anodized Alu backing plate with the IR sensor board? This would remove the need for an insert between the glass and Alu.
August 27, 2015 03:52AM
@otas, there is intentionally no hysteresis. The uncertainty band you mention may indicate that you have a some vibration from the motors causing the height of the sensor to vary a little. EDIT: ignore that as I assume your micrometer rig has no motors. I'll measure the uncertainty band on my delta printer when I get time.

@openbuildsplus, on my delta I sprayed the alu bed plate with matt black barbecue/stove paint. The instructions on the can said that the paint needs to be cured at high temperature, but I couldn't find any information on how high. I ended up turning the bed heater up to 170C for an hour, and that worked well. You can see it in my delta printer auto calibration video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 03:55AM by dc42.

August 27, 2015 04:01AM
@otas, I don't have a design for a mount with height adjusyment. What firmware are you using? With suitable firmware, you need only send the right G or M command to tell the printer what the Z probe trigger height above the nozzle is. That would be a simple way of reconfiguring it for different nozzles.

September 03, 2015 12:12PM
David,

Quick question for you: my bed is glass over a very reflective phenolic base. It creates a virtual mirror surface. For the probe to work, I understand I will need to reduce this reflection. I'm looking into finding a material I can sandwich between the two pieces and wondering if the board triggers better/more accurately on specific colors? Example, lets just say I was going to put a piece of colored paper in- would it work better with black paper, white paper or doesn't matter? The other idea I had was to try frosting one side of the glass.

Thanks,

Chris
September 03, 2015 04:37PM
What you need is a backing under the glass that reflects 900nm wavelength IR as little as possible. Frosting the glass is not a good idea because it reflects too well. Black paper works well, so does black paint. Blue paper would probably work too. Your phenolic base might even be OK as it is. Bright aluminium is the worst.

September 03, 2015 04:46PM
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll try direct first and see what happens. It's very reflective of at least visible light. If no luck, I'll go for black paper, or maybe even cork gasket material if I can find a large enough piece.

- chris
September 08, 2015 09:37AM
Are they compatible with the duet 0.85 and can be used in a larger effector mounting a kraken?
Do you know if it works on carbon fiber also?

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login