Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WorldWide]PiBot Optical Reflection Endstop Rev1.43 - Non-touch Auto-level Sensor

Posted by abcpibot 
[WorldWide]PiBot Optical Reflection Endstop Rev1.43 - Non-touch Auto-level Sensor
January 21, 2015 02:30AM
www.pibot.com

What is it
Non-touch endstop.

Based on infrared sensor with two fix holes spaced 20mm.

Used to find the datum point( such as x y z (0,0,0)) or keep movement in intended range.

Can be used to supprot non-contact automatic adjustment function of building platform.

Fine-tuning distance.

Trigger by +5V or GND.

How it works
Connect

Connect to the mother controller board via endstop cable

pibot-optical-reflection-endstop

Firmware Configure

More detail please check the tutorials - "Configure Your Firmware".

Set the following 5 parameters:

Probing point1(near the park position)
Probing point2
Probing point3
Distance of senser and extruder in X axis
Distance of senser and extruder in Y axis
one-page-configure-h

Overview

wiring-diagram-for-3d-printer

Assembly for machine.

PiBot Optical Reflection Endstop Rev1.43

Assembly for probing.

PiBot Optical Reflection Endstop Rev1.43

Specification
Length of Reflection Endstop Cable: 600mm
Size of Endstop Board: 40mm × 25mm
Hole Diameter: 3mm
Mounter: 18mm

Shipping List
Reflection Endstop Board × 1

Shipping Notification
World Wide Shiping

DHL: 5 to 9 days
EUB: 10 to 30 days
Re: [WorldWide]PiBot Optical Reflection Endstop Rev1.43 - Non-touch Auto-level Sensor
January 25, 2015 05:09PM
These look great! Can they be used with a regular ramps 1.4 setup? They look ideal to retrofit an existing printer with optical stops and auto-level!
Re: [WorldWide]PiBot Optical Reflection Endstop Rev1.43 - Non-touch Auto-level Sensor
March 24, 2015 09:56PM
Can I treat this like a mechanical switch for autoleveling when I set it up with RAMPS and marlin?
Unreliable and inconsistent
December 21, 2015 01:46AM
This endstop give unreliable and inconsistent results, it's dependant on bed texture and is very sensitive to light.
I have a halogen bulb lighting the print, when the light is off the nozzle hit the bed and when the light is on the endstop triggers at 3 or 4mm off the bed.
In the same condition, at one X/Y position the nozzle is 1mm off the bed and at another position it's 5mm away.

I have an aluminium bed with ABS juice.

The idea was good but this product can't really be used as an endstop in real conditions.

PS : Pibot replied to my mail and offered me a refund (I declined, the product isn't suitable in my case but it's not defective), very good point for them. They told me this endstop works best on blue tape but it's not suitable for ABS printing in my case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2015 02:24AM by furynick.
Re: Unreliable and inconsistent
December 21, 2015 04:18AM
furynick
This endstop give unreliable and inconsistent results, it's dependant on bed texture and is very sensitive to light.
I have a halogen bulb lighting the print, when the light is off the nozzle hit the bed and when the light is on the endstop triggers at 3 or 4mm off the bed.
In the same condition, at one X/Y position the nozzle is 1mm off the bed and at another position it's 5mm away.

I have an aluminium bed with ABS juice.

The idea was good but this product can't really be used as an endstop in real conditions.

These are exactly the issues that led me to develop my mini differential IR height sensor, see [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. They have been adopted by Think3DPrint3D in their latest Mini Kossel kit, and by E3D in their BigBox 3D printer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2015 04:19AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 21, 2015 05:29AM
In my mind IR isn't a good idea as a heting bed may disturb the sensors. Heat generate IR.

I ordered an inductive sensor, this could be the best solution for my aluminium bed.
December 21, 2015 07:45PM
furynick
In my mind IR isn't a good idea as a heting bed may disturb the sensors. Heat generate IR.

The intensity of IR generated by the bed even at 120C is tiny compared to the intensity from IR emitter. Much more important is IR from bright sunlight and incamdescent lighting. Modulation can reduce the impact of that to manageable levels, and my differential modulation scheme eliminates the effect of background IR altogether.

Inductive sensing is.OK if you have an aluminium bed, but not if you have glass on top of the aluminium. Inductive sensors are larger and heavier than my mini IR sensor, so less suitable for use on delta printers where the size and mass of the print head need to be kept low..

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 20, 2016 04:27PM
furynick

These kinds of sensors operate in the *near* infrared, with wavelengths somewhere around a micron. The heated bed will generate significant radiation only in the *thermal* infrared, with wavelengths of around 10 microns. This switch couldn't possibly be sensitive to thermal IR.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login