Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 Complete Kit

Posted by gcolbourn 
Re: Prusa i3 Complete Kit
September 25, 2014 03:50PM
Hi Greg
Thanks for the fast response, I have sorted the voltage on the motors with a meter, that I all fine, I will try Ponterface and let you know how that pans out. The upload went through ok, and said done uploading and there was no error message, I will make sure everything is connected correctly and check that there Is a voltage being supplied, thanks again.
Cheers
Luke
September 25, 2014 06:00PM
I'll see what I can do about youtube, might have to tidy up the flat first! (edit does this help: [www.youtube.com] )

So I am using repetier host as it had the more user friendly interface and being new to all of this I like 'user friendly', the default print speed options for slicer felt like my printer was going to tear itself apart, however after tightening up every bolt and making sure I had my fan on the electronics to stop the occasional skipped step this all seems fine now.

Settings are(all in mm/s)
Perimeter 30
infill/support material 50
bridges 60
gap fill 20
travel 130

Of course these speeds might be normal to everyone else but to me it seems to be going very fast!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2014 06:51PM by pierce.
September 25, 2014 06:00PM
Hi Greg
I have installed pronterface and piglet and the rest, and when I connect to the printer it says connecting but nothing happens, I have checked the voltage to the motors and I have power going to them, I know it is something silly and obvious but if you have any suggestions, it was working until I uploaded the firmware but all I changed was the #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1 for the ev3d to #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 70 for the 3dimensionshop hotend.
Im a bit lost at the moment.
September 25, 2014 06:56PM
Ok, have you got the right port (on windows it'll be COMX where X is a number, on Mac it'll be something like /dev/tty.usbmodemfa121) and baud rate (250000) set? Presumably you also downloaded the thermistortables.h file (which has table 70 in it).

Alternatively, can you go back to the firmware you were using before? (At the end of the day, the difference in the thermistor tables is only ~5C at normal printing temps)
September 25, 2014 07:18PM
Hey greg

I just noticed in the last configuration.h you posted here you have

#define INVERT_X_DIR true // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true

Shouldn't the X and Z be set to false like in the first config posted in the thread?

Is the change intentional you never mentioned it?
September 25, 2014 08:05PM
This is for the motors wired as in the standard diagram. However, I have motors with reverse wiring too, so it often involves a little trial and error to get them going the correct way. The next batch of motors I get will hopefully be all the same polarity.
September 26, 2014 11:49AM
Hi Greg
I have not done anything with the thermistorables.h file, ithought that arduino had flash memory and you could only put one file on at a tome, if you could tell me how to do that then maybe it will work, like I said, the software side of this is not what I know.
Thanks
Luke
September 26, 2014 12:41PM
When you load the file Marlin.ino into the Arduino software, it loads all the files in the Marlin directory. Uploading will upload the whole Marlin package. thermistortables.h hasn't changed though (if thable 70 wasn't in the one you have, it would come up with an error on compilation).
September 26, 2014 01:24PM
When I down load the config.h file all I do is change the setting to 0 70 as I said before and from there I upload to the board, I don't know what a .ino file is.
September 26, 2014 02:07PM
How are you uploading? Using the Arduino software - [arduino.cc] - you can't upload without a .ino file. Have you downloaded Marlin? Get it from here - [github.com] - replace the configuration.h and thermistortables.h files with my ones. Open Marlin.ino with the Arduino software, select the correct USB port in Tools -> Serial Port and click upload (the sideways arrow at the top).
September 26, 2014 02:45PM
I never did it like that, I knew I was doing something wrong, I will give that a go and see what happens, when I replace the config.h file do I delete and then paste? I will see what I can do in the meantime, thanks it sounds like I might get somewhere.
September 26, 2014 03:03PM
Hi Greg
Looks like its running, I will try get some prints outs, thanks a lot, I never knew how to upload, thought it was just the config.h file that had to go, thanks again, will post some pictures of my prints.
Cheers
Luke
September 26, 2014 03:51PM
Cool, glad we got there in the end :-)
September 26, 2014 05:30PM
Hi Pierce
I have used your settings and it runs well, except I have the 3dimensionshop hot end and the only way I can get plastic out is to push it through the extruder, there is just no plastic running through it, I am running it at 230 deg C, I will have to play around with it and see what happens, otherwise it is running beautifully.
September 27, 2014 06:33AM
I have the e3d HotEnd on mine, using Pla at 195c.the first batch of pla didn't print as easily as this new batch I have! Although with all the tweaking I have no idea if the Filament is actually the problem. I really should retry but I got the colour sample pack from faberdashery so been going through all of those colours!

AAlso when I first got the printer, I used default temp setting of 200 and kept putting it up until I was at 220 thinking it would help, someone on this forum recommended 195 and it actually printed easily at that temp! So play around with temp see if that helps?

Edit: also I jammed my HotEnd up with first few prints and had to clean it out which helped with printing, similar issue, pushing by hand it came out for a few seconds then stopped/was super hard to push it out. Try cleaning it as well just in case that helps!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2014 06:42AM by pierce.
October 01, 2014 06:59AM
Hey Greg,

Just to give you an update I have replaced be dodgy fuse on the RAMPS and now it's working perfectly.

I have attached a couple of pictures of the first few things i have printed for your enjoyment.

Cheers,
Fuxy

October 01, 2014 11:09AM
Cool, looks good. I've now built in an adjustor to the x idler:
Attachments:
open | download - x idler 1.jpg (165.6 KB)
open | download - x idler 2.jpg (189.7 KB)
October 02, 2014 04:55PM
Hi everyone and anyone?
I have got my printer up and running now but the extrusion is very very very slow compared to the feed rate, does anyone know the cause of this, I am running Repetier on my i3.
thanks
luke
October 03, 2014 10:01AM
verduynluke,

I don't get what you mean the extrusion doesn't need to be fast.

Does it print properly, did you set the right settings in Slic3r for your filament diameter and the hot end diameter?

Greg,

Looks good, consider making the cut out rounded in the corners for added strength.

Not sure it matther but hey any extra strength is wellcome right.
October 03, 2014 10:41AM
Luke, to be honest the 3dimensionshop hot end you have isn't the best. You'll probably want to point a fan at the barrel to cool it and get better extrusion.

Fuxy, did actually have rounded corners before, will put them back in :-)
October 03, 2014 05:27PM
Hi Fuxy and Greg
When I extrude manually from the software it extrudes at a reasonable pace, ive seen printers printing and when I run mine from a program sliced in slic3r it runs really slow just enough to lay a drop of plastic in a few places. any ideas? I might try and load a video tomorrowm
October 05, 2014 03:11AM
Hello I just finished building the kit from emakers and it was great fun.

try as I might I cant get the machine to react to the endstops. (i do get report as triggered when i send m119 tho so I suspect all hardware is working)

when the machine hits the end stop it triggers but keeps on rolling. (i have confirmed that the endstop is fully depressed and is reported as triggered on sending m119

I am using the configuration.h file you supplied on page 2 of this thread.

I was wondering if you have any suggestions or if i have misunderstood something basic.
October 05, 2014 03:11PM
nevermind, the end stop was to loosly attached so it slid along the smooth rod when hit by the carriage.
October 05, 2014 05:10PM
Don't worry freezing, at least you got them wired up right, nothing worse than that grinding sound as it keeps trying to ''home" itself!
October 06, 2014 05:42AM
Luke, what speed settings have you got set in Slic3r?
October 06, 2014 06:25AM
Hi Greg
I have no idea which setting to change, I have tried to look through the internet and have found nothing, I have set my settings the same as Pierce as he said in a post otherwise I am unsure of which setting to change.
Luke
October 06, 2014 07:05AM
Here are my Slic3r configs (go to File -> Load Config..):
Attachments:
open | download - Prusa i3 PLA 3mm.ini (3 KB)
open | download - Prusa i3 ABS 3mm.ini (3 KB)
October 10, 2014 07:27AM
Hey Greg,

When you set me the printer you sent some blue plastic for testing may I ask where you got it from i need some the same hue of blue.

A friend of mine really wants that color. smiling smiley
October 11, 2014 07:14PM
Quick question, I see that you said you can split the STL file of the parts, I am completely clueless and have no idea how to do this. I just wanted to print a spare set of gears!
October 13, 2014 07:38AM
Fuxy - I get the filament in bulk from China, but it's not cheap enough to make it worthwhile selling. I could do a 1-off sale of a 1kg reel for £20+£3 P&P if you want though (PayPal to gcolbourn at hotmail dot com).
I have used this as well in the past, and I actually prefer the shade: [www.ebay.co.uk]

pierce, to split the stl, load it in Slic3r, and then with the Plater tab selected, there is a "Split" icon on the toolbar; you can then select and delete the parts you don't want. Alternatively, you can get the gears separately from here: [www.thingiverse.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login