Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 Complete Kit

Posted by gcolbourn 
Re: Prusa i3 Complete Kit
October 14, 2014 11:14AM
FYI: I've put the new x ends (with rounded holes :-)) on Thingiverse: [www.thingiverse.com]
October 15, 2014 06:45PM
Thanks for the link Greg! Using repetier host so not really using Slic3r apart from tweaking the odd setting.
October 17, 2014 02:34PM
I've put some pics of the printer from different angles to help as a build guide on the facebook page - www.facebook.com/SemiU.co.uk
October 18, 2014 03:15PM
gcolbourn
I've put some pics of the printer from different angles to help as a build guide on the facebook page - www.facebook.com/SemiU.co.uk

Thanks for doing this Greg, I know I pestered you a few times during my build for random pictures, and now I see I have 1 or 2 things to tweak!
October 27, 2014 06:29PM
I have had my printer for couple of months now and it has served me well, i am very happy with my prints and tweeking the printer till it does exactly what i want has been sometimes tough on my noodle but mostly fun. you can see some of my stuff here [www.thingiverse.com]

up till now all has been working great but now my hotbed seems to have given up. I have checked with a multimeter if fuse2 has gone but no, power is supplied to the bed when requested to heat it.
Is there a reason why its not working, am I missing something?. I didn't smell anything burning during the last print.

Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers
Tony

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 01:13AM by craftcadet.
October 28, 2014 05:44AM
I have found my problem. one of my ground (black) leads had come loose from my power supplly to ramps.
sweat over. smiling smiley

cheers

Tony
October 28, 2014 07:51AM
Hi Tony, thanks for updating with the solution :-) I was going to say - sometimes the heated bed wires get a loose connection through having strain on them. Make sure to provide strain relief by cable-tying to frame near terminals (make sure full y axis movement is preserved).
October 28, 2014 09:05AM
Cool thanks Greg. Yeah it was a weird one i couldn't understand why i was getting readings from my multimeter thats suggested everything was fine yet it clearly wasn't. It seems the power plug from the power supply to ramps can become loose and just nudging it can break or make a connection.. I need to tie it shut some how.

Cheers
Tony
October 30, 2014 08:14AM
Yeah, again strain relief on the cables as they go in (e.g. cable tying to frame) can help here. Also make sure the screw terminal connections are tight.
October 30, 2014 11:10AM
gcolbourn
Here are my Slic3r configs (go to File -> Load Config..):

Thanks again :-) I'm sure I'll harrangue you on here if I get stuck
November 01, 2014 09:24AM
Ive got my machine assembled. When i power it up there are blue leds on the board, the lcd flickekrs and red leds flash on the board. Clearly something is wrong but i dont know what

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2014 03:57AM by Phototoxin.
November 05, 2014 07:56AM
Latest set of plastic parts. When I get round to doing a bit of housekeeping and sort out the github etc, I'll upload to Thingiverse..
Attachments:
open | download - i3xyze13.stl.zip (394.4 KB)
November 06, 2014 11:57AM
Phototoxin
Ive got my machine assembled. When i power it up there are blue leds on the board, the lcd flickekrs and red leds flash on the board. Clearly something is wrong but i dont know what

Just to +1 Mr Colbourn for his speedy responses, patience and help. Together we solved it :-)
November 18, 2014 09:12AM
Hi all,

I'm wayne and recently bought an i3 kit off Mr colburn. Very impressed and have loved every minute of building it. Have had no experience in the 3d printing world but have been very intrigued by all of it for a long time so spent many hours reading and researching all about it. I do have some experience in arduino for the past year or so and this has been a good stepping stone towards the 3d world. Will post some pictures of my build and also some of the 1st prints I've completed.
December 21, 2014 02:11PM
Some time back got kit from Gregg. Great one overall. Had great results with included 0.4 nozzle (e3d v6). Didn't need to do much calibration apart bed levelling either. I have decided to try 0.25 nozzle and got one from e3d + some new black filament from ebay.

That's where my problems started. In theory, what settings I would need to change to support 0.25? I assume only nozzle size (0.25) + layer height (0.2) + extrusion width (0.4?). Anything else in Slicer or Merlin config?

Also, it seems it produces less filament then it needs to print. I found that it might be a temperature so increased (seller page says ~210, tried up to 230). Still printed only half of first layer and stream "got cut", however extruder kept spinning steadily.

Any ideas, please?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0313.JPG (140.6 KB)
December 21, 2014 04:06PM
Hi Justas,

You could try adjusting the Esteps/mm in firmware, but you shouldn't need to do this.

I'm guessing that having 3mm in, 0.25mm out, might just require too much force for the extruder set up. You could try tightening the idler and/or turning up the voltage on the E stepper driver (is the filament getting shredded on the hobbed bolt, or the gear getting stuck?) But you might need to try getting a 1.75mm hot end. Also in general, very thin nozzles are more prone to blockages from dust/filament contaminants.

Cheers,
Greg
December 23, 2014 06:08PM
My latest Slic3r configs (.ini files; go to File -> Load Config..) and configuration.h for Marlin (for kit with LCD) are here: [www.dropbox.com]
December 30, 2014 02:09PM
I have been building this kit over Christmas and finally have it all connected up. I have tried connecting using Pronterface and Repetier-host but nothing happens after issuing a connect command. I have tried with the supplied LCD but it is just blank. The arduino shows up as COM4 in the Win7 control panel and I am connecting to COM4 in the programs. I suspect there is no firmware installed. Is this a possibility? Attached is what the LCD looks like.
Attachments:
open | download - 2014-12-30 17.05.23.jpg (51.4 KB)
December 31, 2014 10:19AM
tekkydave
I have been building this kit over Christmas and finally have it all connected up. I have tried connecting using Pronterface and Repetier-host but nothing happens after issuing a connect command. I have tried with the supplied LCD but it is just blank. The arduino shows up as COM4 in the Win7 control panel and I am connecting to COM4 in the programs. I suspect there is no firmware installed. Is this a possibility? Attached is what the LCD looks like.

Looks like the Marlin firmware was not on the Mega. I have uploaded it and can connect from Pronterface & Repetier. I need to work out which LCD to enable in Configuration.h now.
December 31, 2014 10:38AM
Hi Dave, If you have the more square-shaped LCD, try:

#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

More firmware instructions here: [www.facebook.com]
December 31, 2014 11:45AM
gcolbourn

The LCD is the Gadgets 3D. I have enable in Configuration.h and that is now working. I had to invert the logic on the endstops to get them to trigger when activated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2014 11:46AM by tekkydave.
December 31, 2014 12:15PM
gcolbourn

The diagram on FB shows stepper colours are (L to R) Red,Blue,Green,Black
The crimped connectors in the kit have (L to R) Blue,Red,Green,Black

Is this likely to cause any problems? When I am manually moving the printer from Pronterface +X is moving x-axis R to L, +Y is moving bed forwards, +Z is moving extruder downwards.
Something isn't correct. I'm also not getting full range of axes - only about 100 in each.

EDIT: After a bit more research I can see that the polarity of the individual coils doesn't matter. The important thing is that the Blue/Red and Green/Black are the 2 coils. Switching the plug orientation just changes the direction. I'll have to work out which way round they need to go for the correct direction on each axis. Every picture I find has a selection of different orientations - very confusing for a beginner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2015 05:58AM by tekkydave.
Anonymous User
January 02, 2015 01:52AM

January 04, 2015 09:01AM
tekkydave
gcolbourn

The diagram on FB shows stepper colours are (L to R) Red,Blue,Green,Black
The crimped connectors in the kit have (L to R) Blue,Red,Green,Black

Is this likely to cause any problems? When I am manually moving the printer from Pronterface +X is moving x-axis R to L, +Y is moving bed forwards, +Z is moving extruder downwards.
Something isn't correct. I'm also not getting full range of axes - only about 100 in each.

EDIT: After a bit more research I can see that the polarity of the individual coils doesn't matter. The important thing is that the Blue/Red and Green/Black are the 2 coils. Switching the plug orientation just changes the direction. I'll have to work out which way round they need to go for the correct direction on each axis. Every picture I find has a selection of different orientations - very confusing for a beginner.

All stepper directions now sorted and all 3 axes plus extruder motors all functioning correctly. I have tested the heat bed and hot-end heaters/thermistors and all seems to be ok. I noticed the supplied fan for the hot-end doesn't work. I tested it with multimeter and it is open-circuit. I'll have to get a replacement before proceeding with a test extrusion.
January 04, 2015 07:09PM
Hi Dave, sorry for the late reply. You can also reverse the direction of the axes in firmware by editing these lines in configuration.h:

#define INVERT_X_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR false // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_E0_DIR true // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false

Sorry about the fan. If you've not yet ordered one, I can send on a replacement.
January 05, 2015 09:32AM
I haven't ordered one yet - could you send me one. Much appreciated.
Dave
January 05, 2015 10:19AM
Ok, I've sent one on :-)
January 07, 2015 12:20PM
gcolbourn
Ok, I've sent one on :-)

Received today - thanks :-)

I calibrated the extruder today. Line in configuration.h is

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80.0,71.111,4000.0,729} // default steps per unit for SemiU i3 box

Hope you are feeling better btw :-)
January 09, 2015 10:59AM
Better, thanks :-)

X and Y steps/mm should be the same at 80, surely? Isn't 71.11 if you are using a 18 tooth T2.5 pulley instead of a 20 tooth GT2? Or was there somehow a mixup in your kit?!
January 09, 2015 11:14AM
gcolbourn
Better, thanks :-)

X and Y steps/mm should be the same at 80, surely? Isn't 71.11 if you are using a 18 tooth T2.5 pulley instead of a 20 tooth GT2? Or was there somehow a mixup in your kit?!

I did wonder why the Y value was 71.11 and not 80. I just copied down the line ending "default steps per unit for SemiU i3 box" assuming it was the right one for my kit. I'll change it back to 80. Thanks for pointing that out. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login