Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Buying ABS filament

Posted by Forrest Higgs 
Buying ABS filament
January 29, 2009 03:41PM

I just took receipt on a consignment consisting of 20 lbs of virgin unpigmented 3 mm ABS filament from New Image Plastics {[www.plasticweldingrod.com]}

The landed cost came out to $159 {$7.95/lb} plus a touch over $20 for shipping via UPS ground.

A couple of things to remember when you order from New Image.

1) Order early. They don't keep inventory and ordinarily do very large corporate orders, so working in a small order (5 lb minimum) needs a reasonable amount of time. I tend to say that I would like delivery in 30-45 days. They tend to deliver in 30 days pretty consistently from my experience. I ordered this lot just before Christmas.

2) Call in your order to Donna there and make sure she knows exactly the specifications that you want. I order 3 mm, no pigments in the plastic of choice. THEN follow up the phone order with an email to Donna confirming the details of what you've ordered. I'm not suggesting that you do this because they get things wrong. They've yet to mess up an order of mine. It is just good practice and leaves a paper trail if there IS ever any question.

Donna and Jim (owner) are great people. They ooze integrity. I like dealing with them.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
Re: Buying ABS filament
June 19, 2009 03:31AM
Hello Mr. Higss ,

i m a final year student of mechanical engineering in NUST (pakistan). I m fabricating rapid prototyping macjine as my final year project, actually i m running out of time, is there any way possible that i could get the shipment of a ABS filament within a week.

kindly if you can help me in this regard. Waiting for ur positive responce. Thnx
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login