Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Machined Extruder Parts

Posted by reifsnyderb 
Re: Update...the first batch of parts is done!
December 20, 2008 11:50PM
Wow, Brian, I'm very impressed. I really appreciated how you kept everyone posted of your amazing progress. The extruder really is the part that makes RepRap special, but also the part that makes RepRap uniquely challenging to build.

Machining skills are becoming a rare competence. My grandfather, blacksmith in profession and accomplished wood worker in retirement, used to make anything he needed himself. While I played in his shop as a (young) kid, and while my father definitely has some of his dexterity and talent, I seem to have somehow ended up in or close to "repairman" land.

Slowly I'm trying to claw back some territory. After having our dishwasher repaired once (under warranty), and the second repairman visit consisted of just replacing a fuse (I could have done *that* myself), the third and fourth visits were actually avoided (cleaned pump and replaced fuse again). Similarly, hundreds of dollars in plumber bills have been replace by pipe cutting tools and soldering torches.

Still, the reality of a New York apartment (tools are to be kept in storage until needed for heroic repairman moments), combined with a distinct lack of talent and craftsmanship, make anything more than drilling a hole of approximate size and depth at an approximate location a daunting task.

So, thank you, Brian, for allowing me to buy some parts that may turn out to be a linchpin to regaining some producer value in this consumption market. After we replaced our dishwasher (5 repairs and you're out), I realize that that the current one (a Bosch) is great, except for a missing plastic accessory to hold bottles in place. Wouldn't it be great to print one myself?

For me, RepRap represents a positive step to take back some of the freedom we have given up in this industrial production society. In my day job, I earn a living writing free (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) software, but by night I realize that much of our way of living depends on things, imported from China and other faraway nations, that we should be able to individually produce ourselves.

While I'm a Free Software guy, I surely hope to be able to join in the Free Hardware counterpart soon. Here Free doesn't mean Free as in Free Lunch, but Free as in Free Speech. I hope we can have more people produce parts of RepRaps and offer them for sale. I'll be happy to assemble any RRRF kits people need. We'll work out the trade (wether $$, beer, RepRap parts or otherwise).

We need to get this down to purchasing and assembling known-working components, and the sooner we get there, the better.

For now, hats off to Brian!

-Geert
Re: Machined Extruder Parts
December 21, 2008 01:27AM
Well said! Hats off to Brian!
December 22, 2008 12:16AM
Hello,

Thanks everyone for the "hats off!" smileys with beer

I saw Geert mentioned that he works on GNU GPL software. That and machining is what attracted me to this project. As an author of some open-source software, myself (FreeDOS FDISK, unformat and the Xoops DMS), I am familiar with the whole concept. Recently, I saw a discussion on a machining forum about the RepRap project and figured I'd check into it. Since I have my own small machine shop, it seems to make sense for me to see what I can do. I figure it can be a win-win situation as I can help to make the project more available to everyone, support a concept I believe in, eventually build my own RepRap, and hopefully make a few extra dollars on the side.

I got into machining partially for reasons that Geert mentioned. I already did a lot of repairs myself; but, some were just out of reach. For example, I had to get some machine work done on the head of my wife's car. So, a nearby machine shop quoted me half the price and 1/8 of the delivery time. In other words, $100 became $200 and 2 weeks became 2 months. I didn't mind the price issue as I understood what it takes to get the job done. But, the time issue was infuriating. So, I started exploring what it takes to do the job myself. That being said, I still can't resurface a head as I don't have a surface grinder. However, I have learned enough that I may be able to do it by hand, with a surface plate, if I had to. I also have the machines to effect most other repairs...and have done so on several occassions.

Geert also is 100% correct that we really need to bring manufacturing back to this country, or any former manufacturing country. If this isn't going to be done by the big corporations, it will have to be done by individuals working out of their garages and basements. The RepRap project could be a step in this direction.

That being said, I compare the RepRap to Linux in the days before there were distributions. You had to get all of the individual pieces and put it together yourself. Hopefully, in several years RepRap will have it's own "distributions."

Regards,

Brian
Shipping!
December 22, 2008 03:54PM
Hello,

I was able to ship the first 10 parts kits today. Everyone who either has a parts-swap deal or has payed by Sunday evening has their parts kits on the way.

I'll ship the others tomorrow.

Regards,

Brian
Re: Shipping!
December 23, 2008 11:46PM
Brian, I got the parts! Thanks for all the work, they look great. The electronics kits are ordered, and I'll get them to you as soon as I get them built.

-Geert
More shipping!
December 24, 2008 12:21AM
Hello,

Two more kits were shipped yesterday (Tuesday), for a total of 10 kits shipped thus far.

I just read my previous post and my math was off. I only shipped 8 kits on Monday. Oops.

Regards,

Brian
Re: Shipping!
December 24, 2008 12:24AM
GeertB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brian, I got the parts! Thanks for all the work,
> they look great. The electronics kits are ordered,
> and I'll get them to you as soon as I get them
> built.
>
> -Geert

Excellent. They arrived much faster than I thought they would.

I'll be looking forward to the electronics kits!

Regards,

Brian
December 26, 2008 04:56PM
Brian - I got my two sets this morning. Just 3 days because the Post Office had to stay out of Santa Claus's way yesterday. HOT DAM.... Now I can get real busy finishing my 2 rep-straps because it appears that I have all the parts at this time.

Bob Teeter

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
December 30, 2008 12:40AM
Hi,

I'm building the Ponoko RepRap Extruder for my reprap machine. [reprap.org]

I needed couple of machined parts built.

A PTFE Extruder Heater Spacer. Basically this is a 35mm piece of 10mm diameter PTFE rod with a 3mm hole drilled down the centre. One end of the hole is chamfered, the other end tapped for 6mm with an M6 hole. Use a 4.5mm starter hole for the tap as PTFE is very soft.

And I also needed a heater barrel. This is a 40mm long piece of M6 brass bolt with a 3mm hole drilled right down the middle. Make it say 45mm long and file off the worst end. Chamfer the hole on the end that will screw into the PTFE and make the other end as flat as you can to give a good seal on the nozzle. Clean the threads.

And I also needed a nozzle made using a the M6 dome nut.

Unfortunately I don't have a lathe and all of the parts to do this. I'm willing to pay you for the materials and your services to do this. Is this possible?

I was wondering where can I get the 6M Brass studdings from? I was looking online all over the place. And it seems they only sell it in the UK. I live in California. Are there any USA place's I can buy it from??

thank you

sun2407
December 30, 2008 12:42AM
I'm followinng the Ponko design to build my extruder. The size of the barrel is different from the other designs. Check out the site

[reprap.org]
December 30, 2008 07:34PM
Hello,

The parts you describe are almost identical to what I am selling in my kits. I did notice that there was a note to chamfer the PTFE...I will see if I can do that to the next batch as it appears to be a good idea.

I am using brass rod stock to make the nozzles...not M6 dome nuts. My nozzles have a 0.4mm hole, are slightly less than 8mm in diameter, and appear to have less brass than the dome nuts. They may heat up faster. I really don't know as I don't have any feedback yet.

The brass heater barrels, I am selling, are 45mm long and have a milled notch at 36mm, for a thermistor. If you don't need the milled notch, it shouldn't make any difference. You could put the notch on the side of the PTFE, for example. I also run a die down the threads, as a final step to clean-up the threads, as the threads do get slightly damaged from holding them in the collets. You shouldn't have to worry about filing them flat as they are cut-off in the lathe.

Here is the individual price list in US dollars:

M5 Drive screw: $8.00
PTFE Holder: $5.00
Nozzle: $6.00
M6 Brass Heater Barrel: $8.00
Half Bearings for Drive Screw: $8.00
M5 Nuts: $0.10 each.

Shipping and Handling is $10.00 for anything up to 5 kits. If over 5 kits, I'll make up an individual quote.

M6 threaded brass rod is available at McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com) for around $17.00 for 1 meter.

If you would like to order the parts from me, please send me a private message, including your address, and I'll send you payment information.

Regards,

Brian

sun2407 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm building the Ponoko RepRap Extruder for my
> reprap machine.
> [reprap.org]
> mbly
>
> I needed couple of machined parts built.
>
> A PTFE Extruder Heater Spacer. Basically this is a
> 35mm piece of 10mm diameter PTFE rod with a 3mm
> hole drilled down the centre. One end of the hole
> is chamfered, the other end tapped for 6mm with an
> M6 hole. Use a 4.5mm starter hole for the tap as
> PTFE is very soft.
>
> And I also needed a heater barrel. This is a 40mm
> long piece of M6 brass bolt with a 3mm hole
> drilled right down the middle. Make it say 45mm
> long and file off the worst end. Chamfer the hole
> on the end that will screw into the PTFE and make
> the other end as flat as you can to give a good
> seal on the nozzle. Clean the threads.
>
> And I also needed a nozzle made using a the M6
> dome nut.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have a lathe and all of the
> parts to do this. I'm willing to pay you for the
> materials and your services to do this. Is this
> possible?
>
> I was wondering where can I get the 6M Brass
> studdings from? I was looking online all over the
> place. And it seems they only sell it in the UK. I
> live in California. Are there any USA place's I
> can buy it from??
>
>
> thank you
>
> sun2407

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 07:38PM by reifsnyderb.
January 08, 2009 02:52PM
hello, how much is it for a complete kit and shipping to minnesota usa?
January 09, 2009 08:56AM
Hello,

I just sent you an e-mail with the details and payment information.

Regards,

Brian

hoang031 Wrote:
> hello, how much is it for a complete kit and
> shipping to minnesota usa?
January 11, 2009 11:53PM
Will you email me the info?

swinterry@hotmail.com

I am willing to pay, but I code web sites if you would like to make an exchange

Swinson
January 12, 2009 10:04AM
Hello,

I just sent you an e-mail with the information.

Regards,

Brian

swinson Wrote:
> Will you email me the info?
>
> swinterry@hotmail.com
>
> I am willing to pay, but I code web sites if you
> would like to make an exchange
>
> Swinson
Machined Extruder Parts Kit Update
January 12, 2009 10:08AM
Hello,

I just discovered that an extruder requires 2 half-bearings instead of the 4 that I have been sending out. Therefore, I am now sending the kits out with 2 half-bearings and reducing the price to $31.00. I'll send out 4 half-bearings, for the old price of $34.00, upon request.

All new drive screws will also have an extended lower bearing journal in order to allow for a looser tolerance in the plastic extruder housings.

Regards,

Brian
New Post
January 12, 2009 10:33AM
Hello,

In order to make it easier to figure out exactly what is in the parts kit, I have posted the parts kit information in it's own for-sale posting and linked to this post.

Here is the new post:

[forums.reprap.org]

Regards,

Brian
January 12, 2009 04:06PM
Just a thought Brian, but extruder also requires two full bearings in addition to the half bearings. The dimensions are 6M rod drilled to 3M, 11mm in length if I am not mistaken. These bearings are for the gear drive. Somebody correct me if I am mistaken...

- Rick

A chicken has a head the size of a walnut. Yet, even it has the sense to come in out of the rain.
January 12, 2009 04:14PM
We've been building a simplified extruder without the gear drive; it's Nophead's version of the Mk2.

You can see it here:
[objects.reprap.org]

and here with Brian's parts inside:
[builders.reprap.org]

So far so good! If you want to go the geared route, be aware that it covers up the second output shaft on the motor, so you'll have to come up with another way to measure the shaft speed, or just go open loop.

Wade
January 12, 2009 04:34PM
Rick Wrote:
> Just a thought Brian, but extruder also requires
> two full bearings in addition to the half
> bearings. The dimensions are 6M rod drilled to 3M,
> 11mm in length if I am not mistaken. These
> bearings are for the gear drive. Somebody correct
> me if I am mistaken...

Hello,

If you would like to go the geared route, I do have those bearings as I made almost 30 of them by following the directions for the cable-drive extruder.

However, unless there is a big advantage to using the geared system, I would avoid any unnecessary complexity and use the system Wade and Nophead are using...at least until somebody builds a better extruder.

Regards,

Brian
Anonymous User
January 12, 2009 06:06PM
Just got mine today!

now onto the other parts :p

(The bubble envelope you sent it in will be great for sending my HDD for repair grinning smiley)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2009 11:33PM by FireCrack.
January 13, 2009 10:59AM
Thanks for the link, Wade. Definitly looks like an improvement worth pursuing!

-Rick
January 13, 2009 11:13AM
Forgive me if I missed it but anyone put together the extruder into a working RepRap yet? Interested to see how well these parts perform. As I understand it, the extruder is one of the trickest parts to get working right so it's good to have someone producing them who knows what he's? doing.

Well done in any case reifsnyderb, unfortunately I don't live in the US...

Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 11:29AM by Nil Einne.
January 13, 2009 04:15PM
check this out

[builders.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 04:16PM by swinson.
August 30, 2009 12:37AM
Hi I just send you a PM with my info, i would like to order an extruder kit, please send me the information to elcerdomarrano@hotmail.com thanks.
September 07, 2009 11:40AM
Hello,

Hello everybody and I'm from Brazil and would like to know where I go with this complete kit with motors and circuit screws etc and how much is everything else the shipping to Brazil but I want the whole kit because in Brazil and half do not find that if you can sell me or show me where I find the kit I am grateful
October 12, 2009 09:14AM
Hi Brian,

Are you still building the parts kits? I just recently came across the RepRap and have become quite interested in building one.
As I live in Australia I would have to buy the kit as it seems a long way for a 2 way transfer.

If you're still active, how much to send a kit to Aust and how soon.

Cheers

Oscar.
October 21, 2009 01:57AM
I live in Colorado. I was wondering first if you make extruder heads for Mendell yet? I would be happy to purchase one of each kit if they are completely compatible.
October 22, 2009 09:54AM
I think they're the same as Darwins extruder assy.
October 25, 2009 08:28PM
Are these still for sale? If they are, where can I send the money?

John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login