Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is the material cost of a new RepRap?

Posted by Foo 
Considering that RepRap now is able to produce most of its parts, what is the material cost to build a new RepRap?

What are the most expensive parts?
Re: What is the material cost of a new RepRap?
October 20, 2008 05:12PM
bout the same cause no one is really making parts to sell yet...

Demented
May 18, 2009 09:22PM
Attached is my spreadsheet with costs for a completely new RepRap.
Attachments:
open | download - RepRap Darwin.xls (8.5 KB)
Thank you for the spreadsheet, but there is a huge question in regards to the printed parts:

How much filament does it take to make the parts?

What is the cost of a spool of filament?
August 18, 2009 06:39AM
According to another thread where someone is offering printed pieces he can do it for 30$ ex S/H. He needs about 2Kg of filament per set. So printed parts can cost less than 5% of the total machine.I'm curious why there are so few Reprap owners actually replicating? If every owner would replicate one a week, and the new owners as well and so on, after less than a year there would be one in every household. (4 billion in 32 weeks).
August 18, 2009 10:36AM
I think there are two reasons for that: -

The first is that if you receive a set of parts at cost you feel a moral obligation to print two sets and pass them on. But as far as I know only two or three people in the world have received parts at cost. The rest have bought kits at £750 or Makerbots at $750 so most don't feel any obligation to print parts at cost for others.

Printing a set of parts is quite difficult and time consuming at the moment and again as far as I know only about 5 complete sets have ever been printed by non commercial machines. Quite a few people are working on it and I have seen several people with a good proportion of the parts printed, but as there are over 100 it is a slow process unless you are very dedicated.

It took all of my spare time for two weeks to make a set recently: [hydraraptor.blogspot.com] [hydraraptor.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2009 10:36AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login