Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone In the Salt Lake City area?

Posted by scott mills 
I am a scoutmaster, I want to build one for myself. And was thinking what a neat idea it would be to see my troop actually doing the research,construction, and programming. But first I would like to see one in action if there are any local builders/users.
Re: Anyone In the Salt Lake City area?
December 09, 2007 12:57AM
What a great idea! My scouting experiences have been invaluable, but the most "technical" thing we've ever done is weld up some go-carts.

Unfortunately I won't be able to help you much unless you're planning on waiting another 1.5 years before starting, when I'm going to go to school in that general area... heh.
December 09, 2007 02:07PM
Apparently I'm the closest person to you but I'm in Klamath Falls Oregon and I don't have a fully functional repstrap quite yet. Texas is the other place.

Here is the new map that was just put up with some people on it.

[maps.google.com]

Might put yourself on there.

Cheers!
Demented
December 15, 2007 08:03PM
I am about 45 minutes south of SLC but I have only just discovered this site and am going to be looking into the possibility of building my own. If I can find the appropriate components for the right price then I will make one (I alreay have a source for printing out the first set for myself).
December 15, 2007 08:25PM
(I'll be moving this thread to the
Utah, Salt Lake City RepRap User Group
on Monday Evening.)
It will be over here:
[forums.reprap.org]
Is anyone out there still interested? This looks like an awesome project not sure about the time and money I am going to have to figure that one out with the wife but I was curious if any of the above posts actually got started making a reprap or repstrap
November 03, 2008 01:56PM
I just got my laser cut Rep(St)rap working! I'm in Utah valley. See the RepRap category of my blog:

[shane.willowrise.com]

If there are others in Utah interested in this project, we should get together. I'm willing to drive to SLC.

If you're a family man like me, the main thing that held me back from getting into the project was the expense. We Utahns interested in RepRap should meet and find ways to reduce the cost so more can get involved. If we put our heads together, I think we can reduce the cost a lot. At a minimum, we can make the cost more predictable--I spent nearly twice the amount I was hoping to spend.
I am interested. Here are my general skills, mb.thewellbeinghalo.com and my workload is weekends off. I recently moved up to SLC from Lehi to be closer to everything including the office where I work.

SolidWorks 3D CAD designer. Altium Designer of printed circuit boards and their assembly- I am specifically interested in applying my skills to building a community Mendel II and distributing that expense. I am also interested in the RPEC Technology that is undergoing development by the RRRF.org

My contact information is to the link above. Phone calls are fine anytime or leave a message for me to reach you.

Regards,

Michael B.
February 16, 2010 12:18PM
I'm in the Sugarhouse area and have been working on a mcwrire'ish repstrap as time allows.(which isn't much, progress is slow)

I've got an extruder and one axis done, and have been making myself familiar with the software side. I'm using an Ardunino (or arduinomega, I have one of each), and easydriver stepper drivers.

I'd love to see a finished machine running and pick the brain of it's builder, if anyone near by has one finished.

Bill
I'm helping run the World Science Fiction Convention, which is in Reno, NV August 17-21, 2011.

I'm looking for Reprap-ers in the area who might be interested in bringing a rig to the con.

Drop me an email at: art (at) renovationsf.org if you're interested.

For more info about the con see www.renovationsf.org
Anyone in Utah Valley?
May 09, 2011 10:04AM
I would like to build one for myself. I was hope someone can help me to get one or make parts for me.

Reid
I am very interested in building a reprap. I already have already built a CNC router and a phlatprinter. It shouldn't be very hard to build an extruder and attach it to the Z axes of my router and have something like the repstrap. I have also been collecting stepper motors for some time now. I think this will be fun and maybe I could be the first to own a reprap in Utah.
July 05, 2011 12:50AM
Glad to hear about your undertaking Mike. RepRaps are a lot of fun and from the sounds of things it should be a relatively simple task for you. As far as I am aware there are currently 3 or 4 working RepRaps in Utah. Bill2or3 and I each have one and there are a couple more around Salt Lake and Utah Valley. I am also aware of another 2-3 being built currently around Utah. So feel free to ask for help if you need any.
July 11, 2011 03:05AM
I have just purchased the Mendel printed plastic parts off of Ebay. It comes with Adreains geared head extruder. It should be here in a few days. I am currently looking for the bill of materials on the web site for the Mendel. At this point I have many questions and not a lot of answers. I will keep at it. Most of my questions are software and hardware related. For instance do I need to run Linux? I already have a four stepper motor driver from xylotech will they work? Has anyone tried them?

Thanks

Mike
September 24, 2011 01:02AM
I now have a nearly finished Menel Prusa, I am currently in calibration mode. I have made my first parts and am working on improving the print quality, speed, layer height, and infill, ect. I would be willing to help in any way I can. Keep in mind I am still working on mine getting it print to dementions,
Hi Mike,
I'm looking at building my own Prusa Mendel. I have looked around quite a bit and was wondering where I might find the best deals for parts. At the moment I'm looking at [mixshop.com] for parts, although, I see that you purchased yours on Ebay. I also live in the Salt Lake area, would you be available to answer further questions I might have? Thanks in advance.
September 27, 2011 04:35PM
Sure I would be happy to help in anyway I can. Just so you know my quality
isn't very good yet. Lots of work yet to do.
So I've done nothing but looked around so you're lightyears ahead of me. Can I get your email address instead of going through the forum?
September 27, 2011 11:32PM
Yes my email is BosenMike_99@yahoo.com I have only had my Prusa Mendel working for about a week. I still have some bugs to work out.
I bought Makerbot electronics. I am using replicatorG software. I had such a hard time finding metric allthread and smooth rods that I used 5/16 inch. that seems to be working. I was able to get my plastic parts off e-bay for $75.00 plus shipping. My biggest problem now is a bent shaft on one of my steppers. I bent it trying to get a metal gear off. I have a new one coming. So far I have had to do everything alone and spent money I didn't have too. I may be able to save you a little money, You may be able to learn from my mistakes. Building this thing was fun! I am kind of dissapointed its over. Now the fun really begins. If I had it to do over again I would get a kit off ebay with all the hardware. I have spent a small fortune in small metric nuts bolts and screws. Anyway good luck.

Mike
October 04, 2011 02:17AM
Didnt think there were any other SLC people here. I live just off campus at the U. Have a Mendel that I'm slowly working through the calibration.
October 06, 2011 11:55PM
Hey bajasam96,
I found a clalabration calculator and it took a lot of the guesswork out of the
setup of my Mendel prusa. Try it you will like it.
[calculator.josefprusa.cz]
October 07, 2011 12:00AM
Ah yes I've used that one to verify mine. My real task is working through all of the Skeinforge settings to get decent quality prints. I can manage ok prints, but getting good prints is proving to be quite difficult.
Wow, this is awesome. Just found RepRap on Kickstarter.com. The whole kit is a little more than I can spend right now, but is anyone here selling the whole set of printed parts? smiling smiley Maybe I'll build it over time.
November 16, 2011 11:17PM
I've been selling a handful of sets on ebay. None ready now though, I need to order some more plastic before I can do any more sets.

SW
July 11, 2015 09:45AM
Hey everyone! Anyone still watch this page? I'm in Provo. Could use some help printing a few parts for a 3DR. I just got a printer from a kickstarter launch but it doesn't perform anywhere near as well as promised/is to small. Any need a few extra bucks? smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login