Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Check in - Utah SLC Newbs and Veterans

Posted by muffin23man 
Check in - Utah SLC Newbs and Veterans
December 23, 2011 08:35PM
Let's see who's actively printing/building/interested nearby!
Drop a hello if that's you and you live near here.

Maybe we could come together and plan some events and/or meetings like some other community groups... Or maybe there's not enough of us yet - but we should organize and find out!

I'm a U of U student interested in starting a reprap and I'd like to talk to some vets about their experiences.
Re: Check in - Utah SLC Newbs and Veterans
January 03, 2012 02:35PM
I am here. Live in Woods Cross Area.
January 04, 2012 01:56AM
I'm way down south (in Cedar City) but actively reprapping.
January 06, 2012 12:46AM
I am in Magna and I am interested in building a reprap community. I have a working Prusa that I am willing to show anyone who is interested. It is on youtube search for "itsabot" or come and see it in person.
Im in the area (Bountiful) though I just started getting into this and have been reading on the different printers. I've yet to buy/build a printer but definitely intend to.
Going to be picking up a kit off ebay, anyone in the area (Bountiful) going to be willing to help me get it dialed in?

-Art
January 22, 2012 10:06PM
I'm trying to figure out what to get. The Printrbot looks interesting at $499, when it actually starts getting produced. The MakerGear Prusa Mendel kit at $825 looks like it's something that will be maintainable, but may require constant tweaking to keep working. I've read too many bad reviews online of Makerbot or Botmill to consider them, although the new Replicator may be okay. Alibre sells the Rapman for $1699 with Alibre's CAD software. The Rapman has impressive specs, but looks like it's based on Darwin, which is the oldest design.

I guess I'll wait to see how Printrbot turns out before I commit to anything. I'm leaning towards MakerGear, if Printrbot doesn't pan out.
January 26, 2012 08:07PM
Be sure to get some informed opinions before you buy, check out the irc:freenode #reprap chat channel for immediate responses to your questions or post in a more trafficked part of the forums than in this small speck of light that is the vast technological darkness that is Utah... and let us local guys know if we can help you out, there's some good people who are willing to do so here.

Good luck!
February 07, 2012 12:58AM
Hey guys-

Another reprapper here. Ive been up and running and making kits for a couple months now. Im also up at the U.
muffin23man- What program you in?

I wonder how many of us are around here...
February 27, 2012 07:38PM
I'm trying to figure out what to get. looking for thing local or not too far out-of-state. i live in sandy.
February 29, 2012 02:24AM
I'm in North Ogden. Got a Cupcake, Prusa Mendel, and my own design. Been at it for about 1.5 years now
March 07, 2012 01:21AM
There's a maker group forming here in the valley;
[makeslc.com]

Don't personally have enough time to really do anything with them, but they may be an interesting resource.

I personally started with a Prusa Mendel, and have pretty much rebuilt it piece-by-piece pulling from Prusa2 and others. I think, knowing what I know now, I would probably go with a smaller Printrbot for the hobbyist, or the Prusa2 for the more serious hobbyist.

eMAKER_widget.png
March 12, 2012 11:22PM
Well, I ordered my Printrbot+ today. I'll let you know how it turns out.
July 20, 2012 04:45PM
I guess I should have checked this thread first. If anyone would be willing to let me take a look at their printer I would be incredibly grateful. Preferably someone who put the whole thing together, since that's what I'm considering doing, but I'm not picky. I'm close to the U, so it looks like I'm not too far from a few of you. Thanks in advance.
August 14, 2012 02:26AM
Hi all,

I am a BYU student working for Invent-A-Part, Inc. in Springville. We are a commercial rapid prototyping house with several FDM and PolyJet machines. We are currently developing a RepRap based 3D printer and would love to connect with anyone interested in what we are doing. We hope to have a machine that is simple to assemble, has a large build platform, is compact and light weight, and looks awesome! You can check out our home page for a preview of the design (www.inventapart.com).

Anyway, we would love to get to know some of you locals. If anyone is ever in Springville, give us a call or stop by and see what we have going on! If you ever need any high quality/resolution parts printed for your new machine or other projects, we would be happy to help you out if we can.

Best!
I havae just started building a 3d printer and would llike to talk to anyone who is willing to share information on the subject.
October 27, 2012 04:47PM
Where you at?

I'm down in ST. George but am willing to help anyway I can!
November 26, 2012 04:25PM
Is there value in a monthly meeting to learn from each other?
November 28, 2012 03:43PM
Well, I've just inducted myself into the club by ordering my first Prusa Mendel kit. I look forward to being a part of the community.

@CarlS - I'd certainly like to have an opportunity to pick people's brians on 3D printing.
November 29, 2012 10:32AM
PeteD

How can I contact you?

CarlS
November 29, 2012 11:31AM
BosenMike 99

I would like to come and see your printer. Contact me and arange a time. My email is available with my name.

CarlS
February 24, 2013 10:29PM
I would be interested in some meetings with other makers. Just got a tri-color reprappro Mendel, and am in the process of designing my own large-platform build. If people end up setting any get-together's up,let me know. Click my name for my email.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login