Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gravity well model design

Posted by aussiephil 
Gravity well model design
April 28, 2016 09:31PM
Hoping someone can model a gravity well in openscad, [en.wikipedia.org] .

I'm looking to print a spiral wishing well on the new printer once I have the 500mm bed fine tuned smiling smiley but my ability with openscad is near zero and it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

anyone up for the challenge?
VDX
Re: Gravity well model design
April 29, 2016 01:06PM
... you can DIY this by heating a sheet of plastic (usable for cup-drawing) in a rigid frame (maybe wood) in the oven until the "softening" temperature, then use a stick with rounded tip, to depress the dent winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 30, 2016 03:55AM
I had thought of that Victor but my oven certainly isn't big enough and I was hoping to get a more precise contours by 3d printing it then smoothing the layer ridging.
May 01, 2016 08:16PM
You can use a 2D plot and a rotate extrude. I found a 2D graphing library on thingiverse to quickly come up with this (source code attached):

Just have to tweak the equation to get the shape you want. You could also import a dxf and use the rotate_extrude as well.
Attachments:
open | download - 2dgraphing.scad (2.5 KB)
May 01, 2016 08:42PM
sdavi
You can use a 2D plot and a rotate extrude. I found a 2D graphing library on thingiverse to quickly come up with this (source code attached):
[attachment 77388 ScreenShot2016-05-02at9.50.46AM.png]

Just have to tweak the equation to get the shape you want. You could also import a dxf and use the rotate_extrude as well.

THANK YOU very much.... that will also let me play with some conical horn speaker designs.

Cheers and thanks again
VDX
May 03, 2016 04:15AM
... here's a small desktop "mold-making" system winking smiley

[www.3ders.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 08, 2016 12:19PM
If you want a gravitational potential well, you want a circular plot with z =1/r (r=sqrt(x**2 + y**2)), and sdavi gave you the tools to do that. But there are more complicated cases that are interesting: if you've got two bodies orbiting another (earth and moon, say) and want to know what happens to a third body (Apollo 11, say) you need to include centrifugal force. I mention this because I just built an object like that, that describes the stars I study: If you want to build one of those spiraling-in coin/marble things, you're going to have to deviate from astronomical physics a bit (you'll note that the Earth has not spiraled into the Sun in four billion years).
August 24, 2016 07:58AM
Or you could just use the revolve tool on a sketch in any, I repeat any, CAD system.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login