Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Precise and durable Tungsten Nozzle

Posted by crizzler 
Precise and durable Tungsten Nozzle
November 12, 2015 07:57AM

News Link: [www.3printr.com]
Blog: Detailed Project Description

I was not really happy with the brass nozzles so a couple months ago I had the idea to scale down the good practice tungsten extruder dies of the industry plastic extruders to the size of common 3D Printer nozzles. Tungsten is one of the best practice materials for dies when it comes to a good cost-benefit-ratio in the plastic extrusion industries. The advantages of tungsten are:

• its low thermal expansion and higher thermal conductivity compared to brass
  • and the tungsten nozzle grants better and preciser printing results
  • 3D Printer Calibration efforts are more stable (layer thickness etc.)
  • its hardness which resists wear and its better cost-benefit ratio compared to other material solutions.
  • high durability
  • reliability - no inlay it is a full tungsten nozzle which grants then excellent thermal conductivity
  • standard M6x1.0 thread and nozzle size
  • simple

So my question is, is there actually a demand for such a nozzle?

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2015 01:26PM by crizzler.

Plastic Extruder Project - [blog.dddmaterial.com]
Re: Precise and durable Tungsten Nozzle
November 23, 2015 07:54AM
Hello crizzler,

I think this is an interesting material. However I assume the nozzles have to be sintered from powder as it is probably not possible to machine them out of tungsten. Which makes them expensive. What ist your target selling price for the nozzle?

Kind regards
March 15, 2016 09:43AM
I would buy one, it would last so much longer than a brass nozzle, can take a beating from heat and wont round off.
March 29, 2016 01:18AM
Would it be possible to machine the nozzle without threads and press fit it into a heater block?
March 29, 2016 07:33PM
How long does a brass nozzle usually lasts? I've got my printer running every now and then for about two years now, and I'm still in my first nozzle...
April 02, 2016 06:56AM
lhartmann
How long does a brass nozzle usually lasts? I've got my printer running every now and then for about two years now, and I'm still in my first nozzle...

Mine three years, first brass nozzle still ok. And my printers work every single day for at least a few hours, sometimes 15+ hours.
Between parts I don't even wait to cool down. I replace the sheet of glass and restart printing immediately.
April 02, 2016 10:01AM
depends on what material now with all the exotic materials like the metal infused materials then you will find the brass nozzle will wear eventually will these nozzles fit in a hexagon hot end as im interested in purchasing a cpl in the future?

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login