Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Hot End Extruder (Home Machined)

Posted by tylertoys 
New Hot End Extruder (Home Machined)
January 14, 2015 12:46AM
Hi! Im new to this and I am making my first printer. Im also new to the RepRap forums (so I hope I posted this in the right spot). Anyways, here goes;

When I was looking for hot ends to buy, it was hard to find one that I liked and could fit into my budget, so I have decided to make one and would like your help. Maybe we can turn this into a new type of thing.

What I have so far:
This heater cartridge: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201158691569
This pack of thermistors: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171464163750

Im looking to make this a bowden hot end, so it will be separate from the filament pushing part of the extruder system.

I am in the very early stages of the design, so things are flexible. I want to make this compatible with as wide of a variety of printers as possible. Any suggestions?
Re: New Hot End Extruder (Home Machined)
June 05, 2015 12:37PM
I love the idea. But they sell $20 full jhead hotends that you can then customize. They also sell $20 half size low profile hotends. Oh, and $25 will get you an E3D clone that you can customize.

I'd like to actually machine my own as well, not for the budget but for the experience.
June 26, 2015 08:51AM
Very interesting idea indeed! Well, as for me, it would have to be as modular as possible. But I am also rather new to this. Besides that, I was a little bit worried if reaching the required tolerance is possible producing the stuff at home: Take for example a hot end which doesn't host a properly drilled hole.

Btw.: Where to order $25 E3D clones? :-)
June 28, 2015 11:51AM
e3d just released the lite6 hot end not too long ago, which is basically a e3d hotend but with a ptfe liner. see the link below.

[e3d-online.com]

not related to them in any way, but i just thought it's a pretty good price for a hotend from e3d. been using the v5 for a year now and the performance is just unbelievably good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login