Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print a custom shape/size blank PCB onto copper foil?

Posted by [email protected] 
Print a custom shape/size blank PCB onto copper foil?
September 17, 2014 01:29PM
I have seen a youtube video of someone glueing copper foil to a piece of glass to make a PCB.

I'm wondering if this would work with PLA/ABS. The idea would be to hold down a piece of copper foil to the bed and print a custom size/shape board over the top of the foil. What I'm most curious about is if you might be able to get it to stick without any sort of glue (just by the plastic being melted over it) or if you could use some sort of bonding agent that takes long enough to dry that the first layer can be printed, or is even heat activated.

Of course this would mean you end up with a blank PCB that still needs to be etched, but if you think about the customization that could be done....you could print it with mount holes already made, cable holdbacks, etc all directly on the underside of the PCB.
Re: Print a custom shape/size blank PCB onto copper foil?
September 17, 2014 04:24PM
PLA definitely sticks to hot copper, see [hydraraptor.blogspot.co.uk].

I don't know how well it would stand up to the copper being soldered to though.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 17, 2014 05:20PM
I think i just realized this may not work with the laser printer method though because the process for removing the remainder ink uses Acetone which will eat away at the PLA. How much is the concern. I know people are using acetone to smooth out PLA printed parts, so if careful with how long you use the acetone, or use a rag on the copper side it might work fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2014 05:23PM by phillk6751@gmail.com.
September 17, 2014 05:48PM
Acetone is used to smooth ABS. It doesn't dissolve PLA is the same way. It does this to it: [hydraraptor.blogspot.co.uk]

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 18, 2014 02:02PM
Most component holes would be too small to print, though they could be drilled in the conventional way. Cleaning off the etch resist can be done with a mild abrasive rather than a solvent - e.g. a scouring pad. Soldering would have to be done fast.

I'm not convinced however that it would have any advantage over normal PCB in any but very exceptional cases. If you needed structures on the PCB itself it would probably be easier and better to print something that would bolt or glue on top of a populated conventional PCB, (with cutouts to clear the components). Bear in mind also that some electronic components can get pretty hot in operation, so ABS may be a better choice than PLA on boards with high power dissipation components.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login