Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

direct extrusion of PLA granulate

Posted by wurstipursti 
direct extrusion of PLA granulate
October 25, 2013 06:28AM
Hi guys.
I do not have very much experience in reprapping. I finished my first Prusa i3 though and I made a small clone of Jordan Millers Baricuda sugar extruder.

I just wondered I anybody ever tried to put granulate directly in a heated syringe an extrude it with air pressure. The air could take up more granulate from a stock bottle or something, like it is done in sandblasting. You do not have the issue of making a filament of old prints or plastic waste as Recylcebot etc. does.

So can you tell me if anybody ever tried that or if it would be worth a try?

Greetings, Hendrik
A2
Re: direct extrusion of PLA granulate
October 25, 2013 07:01AM
Don't try that, it's extremely dangerous.
WHEN it breaks, the air will send shrapnel and hot molten plastic flying in all directions.
You will experience debilitating pain!
You will be deformed, plastic surgery will be required.

Search images for "burn surgery" to get an idea for what can happen to your skin.

In a laboratory environment, I have pressure tested devices with high air pressure.
NOTE: it is preferred that water be used than air, water is much safer because it does not compress as much as air.
The device was inside a safety chamber.
Every engineer and technician left the lab on their own fruition.
No one wanted to be near it, even when it was inside a safety chamber.

I trusted that my math was spot on, and I wore my PPE drinking smiley
October 25, 2013 07:52AM
Hmm. I guess that might be an issue. But I don't imagine it very difficult to design it rigid enough that it won't break. I am printing sugar with 2bar overpressure in a glass syinge and it does not really make any problem. Maybe I should ask Jordan Miller if he ever tried it.
Since printing of PLA or ABS emits ultra fine particles, the printer should be in a fumehood anyway. Mine is, so I don't mind if my extruder breaks in first attempts.

The question is rather if you could reliably control extrusion with air pressure. So if you don't know of anybody who tried it, I will.
A2
October 25, 2013 08:30AM
I'm guessing that you are probably going to need about 150 to 200 psi to push ABS through an 1.75 mm orifice.
October 25, 2013 10:42AM
I see. Then I totally agree with what you said and won't die in the near future (at least from that). Thanks.
October 25, 2013 12:06PM
See Makibox Ramen

[www.youtube.com]
A2
October 26, 2013 12:41AM
greenman100
"I measured 150-200psi melt pressure when I was designing the Filastruder"
[forums.reprap.org]
November 12, 2013 05:00AM
I tried to do it and a pressure of 2-3 bar seems to be enough. The problem is rather that if the air finds a way out through the nozzle, you have a stream that constantly cooles the plastic and thus prevents it from closing the hole. So it is kind of intrisically unstable. Maybe one could fix that by heating the air somewhere before...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login