Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Carbon nannotube enhanced plastics

Posted by Matthew Hykes 
I read about the RepRap some time back, but haven't the time to build one. Still, the RepRap sprang instantly to mind when I read an article here: [www.nanowerk.com]

Seems there will be some new thermoplastics on the market as soon as PolyOne and Zyvex can work out the details of mixing carbon nanotubes into the plastic at industrial scales. The new plastics will be either very strong for their weight, or electrically conductive, or both. Sounds ideal for making things out of with a RepRap, particularly RepRap parts with the circuitry embedded into the structural components.

Of course, it will probably be a few years until these hit the market, but it's something to keep in mind.
Re: Carbon nannotube enhanced plastics
March 14, 2009 05:23AM
Worth to mention that they use the same thing with glassfiber shards right now. Nanotubes have indeed better results, but the drawback that nanotubes are very problematic when inhaled, because of the dust factor you need very specialized producing technics. I am not sure that they will make 3mm round material, but sheets instead for protection against elektrostatic discharge. But its something to keep in mind.
March 14, 2009 12:06PM
Hmm this reminds me of something Viktor said.

"but for higher rigidity you should mix with some glass-fibres (or even better not specified/selected carbon nanotubes - the selected grades are very expensive)"

Maybe we should fund Viktor to come up with a nanotube plastic extruder/mixer?
VDX
March 15, 2009 06:36PM
... the main benefit of nanotubes (beside conductivity) is their extremely small diameter and so a much higher bending elasticity compared to glass-fibres.

My samples are singlewalled cnt's with 2 nanometers diameter and some 100microns length.

Even with high filling rates they will feed free through a needle with 0,1mm inner diameter, whereas the much thicker and stiffer glass-fibres may clogg and block even with bigger needle-diameter.

When mixing cnt's with resins or other solvents you have to work with exhausting and nano-filters (best wetted types and/or elektrostatic), so it's nothing you can do in the normal basement.

Viktor
Uh, i thought carbon nanotubes were known for their rigidity, not their elasticity!
July 16, 2009 10:11AM
Iompoc
"Uh, i thought carbon nanotubes were known for their rigidity, not their elasticity!"

You're thinking of tensile strength.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login