Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SMARTER Polulu-compatible drivers (with sensorless stall and step loss detection)?

Posted by erosnicolau 
SMARTER Polulu-compatible drivers (with sensorless stall and step loss detection)?
February 20, 2013 04:41AM
Hi, guys,

I'm new to this, so if I say something stupid, please just smile, bear with me and correct me smiling smiley

I know the Pololu-compatible stepper driver breakout boards are open source designs, and that one can create such a board starting from basicly any compatible driver IC.

Why doesn't anybody design such a driver breakout board based on smarter chips, like this one: http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=AMIS-30623, which come with sensorless stall-detection and step-loss detection? I can imagine a bit higher costs, but nothing close to what such commercial drivers cost (well over the 100$ mark).

I think this kind of driver - or any one based on a smarter chip, that can provide such more advanced functions - would be a BIG winner...

Any ideas?
Other smart IC ideas:

1. The Trinamic TMC246 IC: - A bit pricey, at as low as 8eur/piece, but WAY CHEAPER than their end-products (almost 20x cheaper)

2. The Trinamic TMC249 IC

etc.

you get the idea...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2013 05:40AM by erosnicolau.
Hi,
I have obtained the TOS-100 Stepper Driver Shield for Arduino

[www.watterott.com]

to try out the trinamic tmc260 driver. It looks promising. Just need the time to do the firmware integration and to design a board...
Way to go, man!

Pretty shortly I'll have to make my mind about which drivers to use for now on my 3 Megatronics boards:
- classic high current pololu-s
- easydriver - not sure about that one, people say it would be a bit better - adapted with wires to the pololy-type slots
- TOS-100 - adapted with wires to the pololy-type slots (although I need 18 of them and the stock is almost finished on watterott)
- your version of the TOS-100, should this come soon enough winking smiley

Eros
Hi,

if you need any help or advice with the TOS-100 shields drop me a note. And before you go any Pololu-style adaption way let me know … since doing this based on the shield is very hard (or at least uses a lot of space).
It is also very simple to derrive a breakout board (arbitrary pinout) from the shield just cut it out in EAGLE winking smiley

It should be pretty easy to smash together the RAMPS board with some TMC260 drivers … The EAGLE files are hidden inside the Arduino library and Creative Commons …

(If it is not clear yet: I designed the shield & driver)
Hey, @InteractiveMatter,
Great job on the TOS-100! grinning smiley Too bad it's only in classic Arduino format, not in Pololu-standard format too winking smiley Any plans in that direction too? winking smiley And too bad your initial run was so small - I noticed they sold like hot cakes! So, congrats, again!

As for myself - I'm no electrician whatsoever, I'm a mere product designer, with general skills in multiple areas, but no specific electronics skills. So all I can do is come up with ideas and questions and rely on the rest of the community for concrete, material products.

And, since I found the "real culprit" winking smiley, lemme ask you a couple of questions, as you're the most entitled and able to answer them:
1. I know trinamics advertise these ICs as able to do great things, such as sensorless stall detection and step loss - but the guys tell me this is only possible at HIGH RPMs - at least 300-350 RPM. How does the trinamic IC do at detecting stall / step loss when only using VERY small step increments? My application will move a couple of steps at a time, then pause, and so on. Smarter people than me tell me the only way to achieve step-loss/stall detection at such small movement ratios is by means of (expensive!!) encoders...
2. I heard about smarter drivers (and I hold Trinamic's IC in high regard) that are able to drastically reduce the power consumption when using the motors in "hold" mode. I will need to keep a very low power consumption profile, while at the same time keeping the 4 imbalanced robot arms at very precise angles (via reversible 1:100 reductions). My options are to design an output power-off (passive) brake to hold the arms in place while "resting", OR to find drivers capable of greatly reducing the steppers power consumption while "resting" (holding a specific, tense, position). What can you tell me about this trinamic driver, in this regard?

Thank you so much for everything,
Eros
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login