Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

import jpg or BMP and convert to 3D?

Posted by AgeingHippy 
import jpg or BMP and convert to 3D?
June 03, 2011 02:52AM
Hello All

I wonder if anyone knows how to go about importing a jpg or bmp file containing a sketch or grayscale drawing and then convert that to a 2D object (such as a face in HeeksCad) which can then be extruded into a 3D object?

Thanks
Re: import jpg or BMP and convert to 3D?
June 03, 2011 10:13AM
Have a look at Inkscape, and the gcode tools addon.
June 04, 2011 05:58AM
Do you mean to extrude the lines of a sketch to make something stepped like a topographical terrain, or to convert a photo into a heightfield surface? If the latter, ZSurf4 is a program that converts a greyscale bitmap (any picture can be converted to greyscale in Paint, Zsurf's documentation explains it well) to an IGES surface. It's available here: [www.cadstudio.cz] Works very well, with the proviso that the surface has a control point for every pixel, so resampling a picture to a smaller X,Y pixel resolution is the way to optimise pictures so the surface is manageable. Because the surface produced is a NURB format, you can adjust facet resolution when you convert it to .stl. I use Marcus Bole's PolyCAD to tweak surfaces obtained, an IGES import into Polycad is a control point mesh, simple to work with. FreeCAD can thicken an IGES surface to make a solid, or the surface can be used as one face of a manifold polyhedron, surfaces stitched and converted to solid.
June 04, 2011 08:21AM
I think ageinghippy means to use a reprap to print on fabric. I would certainly be possible given proper dispensing/curing equipment, but the question was "Has anyone done it?", and I don't think anyone has.
June 04, 2011 12:00PM
Hi Guys

I wish to import a jpg or bmp sketch which I can then extrude into a 3D object which I can then save as an STL for printing.

Not for any heavy duty stuff, but say to produce a keyring from a simple sketch. The simplest would be to import an image of a circle and then use some 3D package to extrude that circle into the third dimension to form a cylinder... then being able to save the resulting cylinder as an STL which I can then send to skeinforge.

Cheers
VDX
June 04, 2011 12:13PM
... there are some tools converting 'heightfield-images' with grey shades into 3D-surfaces - here black is mostly =0, white (or value 255) is the max. Z height, and every value between 0 and 255 is interpreted as corresponding Z-coordinate.

Some programs for CNC-milling have this function embedded too, so you can import BMP's and convert the grey-shadows or even colours in 3D-coordinates and export as G-code.

... look here for a sample program: [www.inf-el.com]

Viktor
June 15, 2011 06:05AM
AgeingHippy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Guys
>
> I wish to import a jpg or bmp sketch which I can
> then extrude into a 3D object which I can then
> save as an STL for printing.
>
Hi AgeingHippy,

It's not quite what you requested but you can load an image into Sketchup, use x-ray (makes it 50% transparent) and then trace around it, and extrude the height, see this PDF

There is also a sketchup utility called stampers designed to take a image logo and make it into a 3D form. I have not tried it myself.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
June 15, 2011 08:32AM
Hey friends if you are looking for batch image converter then I have recommended you “ReaConverter”. I have great experience of working with it's. It does prove really very helpful for me while I have a bunch of images and I need to convert and resize all of them. With the help of ReaConverter can convert them all at once.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login