Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Converting to STL

Posted by Dylan 
Converting to STL
January 13, 2008 08:53PM
I like doing my design work in something I am more familiar with. Such as Maya, Max, or even milkshape 3d (I really don't like the interface in the aoi). I haven't found a decent converter to STL for any of these, but here is one:
[www.unwrap3d.com]
the plugin is free and the software is fairly cheap. You can't actually build in it, but you can open an obj, mdl, md2, 3ds, etc and using the plugin downloaded from their site export stl.
I tried it and imported a fairly complicated model into the host software. I still have to test a few things to see how to calibrate the sizing so you know what size you get, but it's a start for those with a library of stuff they want to build, but can't convert.

This one obviously won't work with FDM because of the overhangs and it also gave me some errors about positive verticis, but it works.

Dylan
Anonymous User
Re: Converting to STL
November 13, 2008 11:49PM
I found a converter for sketchup and it works just using it to convert to stl and open in aoi it looks the same... but I don't have a darwin right now so I cant test

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2008 11:49PM by dom.
February 03, 2009 04:13AM
[meshlab.sourceforge.net] is free too and Linux, Windows and OSX. It is geared towards optimizing 3d scan data.
March 14, 2009 06:14AM
Apologies in advance for the spam!

I'm one of the developers working on the Irrlicht Engine (a liberally licensed open source 3D graphics library), it's cross platform, written in C++, imports about 20 different mesh formats and can write them to STL and PLY in a couple of lines of code (PLY is currently in the development branch only)
We have a huge and active community almost exclusively consisting of people making games and other real-time graphics applications.
Once RepRaps have multiplied enough to come down in price I'll get one myself, but for the time being does anyone fancy testing our library with your fancy 3D printers? We'd be really interested in the results.
VDX
March 15, 2009 01:02PM
Hi Gaz,

... i have several CAD-programs exporting to STL, so it's not urgent, but i'm very interested in automated optimizing of the STL-output in direction of supporting geometries and such.

Here the standardized CAD-packages aren't functional.

Maybe it's a good idea to write an own postprocessor or exporting interface including this sort of optimisation?

Viktor
March 16, 2009 04:26AM
I take it you mean things like making sure that the surface is a complete geometric solid consisting of no intersecting faces, removing any points which don't belong to faces, ordering it along the Y axis starting at the bottom? Or other optimizations?

Currently we don't do all this, but I guess we could.
VDX
March 16, 2009 05:53AM
Hi Gaz,

i was thinking more in direction of automated generating of supporting structures for overhangs and such.

This mean you can construct and export your objects as usual and a PP generates some supporting columns or 3D-structures in respect of physical and geometric properties - material weight, supporting grid, ...

Viktor
May 27, 2009 08:45PM
Looking at the description of your problem, it seems that meshlab is a good candidate. It has a many (>100) mesh processing algorithms for cleaning, checking, converting, simplifying, filling, offsetting, remeshing, smoothing, etc etc... and it is used a lot for preparing meshes for RP.

You should try to ask in the meshlab forums...
VDX
May 28, 2009 03:17AM
... i'm using meshlab too for some optimisations - but my main problem is changing the original 3D-data 'on the fly' in respect of aditional supporting structures or 3D-hatching of the outer volume for realtime slicing for online-LOM-fabbing or such ...

Viktor
July 01, 2009 02:31AM
Hi Viktor,

I believe Magics can do exactly what it is you are after, it can automatically generate support geometry fairly well. Its mainly used to generate supports for parts being made in SLA machines, but the options are highly customizable. I just had a play around then, and it seems quite easy. Not the cheapest software around *wink nudge*

Failing that, SLA System software should also be able to do similar tricks, or look for CAD packages that are purpose built for RP Applications, many contain support generation algorithms as SLA requires them also.
VDX
July 01, 2009 03:27AM
Hi proto,

... when going the LOM-way i don't need any supporting structures as the surrounding area acts in the same way.

But then it's something tricky with horizontal object-surfaces - here i have to apply a fine hatch on the outside perimeter of the object (for cutting the neigboured sheet in small bits which don't stick) to separate the object after laminating ...

Viktor
July 01, 2009 04:32AM
How does the support-structures look like?
Suppose you create an object with a horizontal, round hole in it.
As everything is made with the same material, what is needed to
clean the object? Does breaking off support-material damage
the smooth surface of the created object?

-------------------------------------------
* homeprototype free 3d design repository
* Blog
* Google+
VDX
July 01, 2009 04:41AM
Hi Marcus,

... either you design objects embedding cavities with a separation-layer for removing the inner debris or you can remove it from a hole from the outside or when fabbing with different materials, then you can use water-soluble support material and wash it away.

With LOM-fabbing ist's similar - either separation-layers and/or a fine cutting hatch for the material in the inner cavities so you can chrunch and remove it through a hole ...

Viktor
July 01, 2009 04:46AM
VDX Wrote:
> ...or when fabbing with different materials,
> then you can use water-soluble support material
> and wash it away.

I though the RepRap could not do multiple extrusion-heads
(required for multiple materials) yet?

What soluble materials exist that the current head can
work with? I only know of a number of plastics but
nothing water soluble.

Marcus

-------------------------------------------
* homeprototype free 3d design repository
* Blog
* Google+
VDX
July 01, 2009 05:35AM
Hi Marcus,

... the standard reprap can't but its adressed and there's development/experimenting in this area ...

AFAIK actual firmware and tools can adress several extruders, so it's more the software generating the 3D-objects, where you have to apply supporting structures.

Water soluble material could be molten sugar or a fast drying paste printed with a syringe-dispenser - here the adhesion between the plastic-tray and the support-material is the interesting point.

I'm actually busy (or waitng on the parts) building a second controller around an Arduino Mega and some microstepping drivers for my CNC-mill - when this works, i'll go further with paste-dispensing and lasercutting/LOM-fabbing. Here i can combine milling, paste-dispensing and laser-cutting/-sintering on one machine and maybe in one fabbing job too ...

Viktor
October 15, 2010 06:28PM
Would anyone be able to convert a 3DS to an STL for me, if emailed the file? I've spent over twelve hours attempting to do this, but my software (AutoCAD and Inventor) apparently hate me.

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks in advance.
October 16, 2010 04:26AM
I will give it a go, I have rhino that can do 3ds and stl, PM me, No promises though

Random Precision
October 20, 2010 07:25PM
tried blender? it should be able to read 3ds and I know it exports STL

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
November 18, 2010 05:44AM
Rhino should do ...........
July 10, 2011 07:00PM
HI gaz :

um working with Irrlicht also .. and also with physx using some kind of integration called IrrPhysx ...

you said that you can import about 20 different mesh formats and can write them to STL ... so can you convert a stl format to 3ds in you application in irrlicht ???

thx
January 21, 2012 04:13AM
I just use BLENDER 2.6 for every thing.

It can import almost any 3d file and Export to most as well.

Its also 100% free smiling smiley
January 18, 2014 02:08AM
Hi guys,

I put up a free online converter here: [www.3DTransform.com]

It converts some common 3D model formats to .STL. Optionally, it will also render an image of your new .STL file.

Let me know if there is anything that I can do to improve the converter, or make it more useful.

Thanks.
August 02, 2014 08:07PM
How do you convert a .3dp file for 123d Catch to an .stl file? I tried to download from 123dapp but the downloads do not show up. There must be an easier way. I'm excited to get printing as I just got my 3D printer working.
August 02, 2014 08:10PM
As an addition to the last post - I would like to use free software with my students.
A2
August 02, 2014 09:56PM
You need to publish your project to the cloud, then open the .stl data file with Meshmixer.

Download an STL of your 123D Catch project.
[www.youtube.com]

Meshmixer
[www.meshmixer.com]
August 02, 2014 11:10PM
I found that if I select to 3D print the 123d catch file, it opens with autodesk 3D print utility. From there I can save the autodesk file and then reopen that file with the makerware program, save it onto a SanDisk and then print it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login