Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Software for organizing many .stl files

Posted by LindseyR 
Software for organizing many .stl files
June 19, 2017 10:50PM
Hi,
I'm working on a project where I need to take lots of .stl models of individual bones and put them each in the proper place to construct a full skeleton. Does anyone have any recommendations for a software that would work for this application.
(I need to place over 100 models so it would be best if it could handle that, otherwise I can work with subassemblies)
Thank you, I really appreciate any suggestions!
Re: Software for organizing many .stl files
June 20, 2017 12:01AM
Which software to choose really depends on what you want to do with the STLs once you've got them collected together. I'm guessing that anything that imports an STL will also allow you to move it to some selected XYZ position and orientation. So if you only want to look at the collected bones, then I guess any software that imports STLs will do.

If you want to do mechanical things (e.g. rotate relative to each other) with them, then try a CAD program like OnShape.com or OpenSCAD or FreeCAD.

If you want to do deformations, then something like MeshMixer (maybe Blender) would be good, I guess.

You can convert many STLs into something more useful (useful depends on what you want to do with them) by importing into FreeCAD.
Re: Software for organizing many .stl files
June 20, 2017 12:32AM
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I basically need to be able to import all the scans then be able to micro-adjust their positions relative to each other. The simpler and more intuitive the better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login