Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adding a Grip in DesignSpark Mechanical

Posted by Captain_Tim 
Adding a Grip in DesignSpark Mechanical
May 06, 2016 10:36PM
I for the life of me can not figure out how I would add a grip around an object. I'm trying to make some screw caps for an old bed that has some poking out of the head board. My current design is hard to turn as my fingers keep slipping while trying to turn it. I don't have much grip on it. So I was just going to add some vertical ribs to the model, but idk how. And help/link to a guide? Thanks in advanced guys/gals!

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
Re: Adding a Grip in DesignSpark Mechanical
May 07, 2016 08:25AM
I don't understand what you're trying to make- screw heads stick out from the headboard? And you want to cover them, or you want to be able to turn them?

Here is a thumbwheel that I was using in my printer for bed leveling:

To make something like this, sketch with the big circle that defines the bulk of the thumbwheel. Now there are two ways to go- you can work on the sketch or you can work the 3D object:

Sketch: Draw a small circle on the edge of the big circle. Trim off the outer part of the small circle. Select the small circle and then select "move". Move the center of the axis reference (the thing with the arrows that pops up with the "move" command) on the center of the big circle. Click on "create patterns", then click on the blue curved arrow part of the move command axis indicator and move it until you start to see duplicates of the small circle arranged on the edge of the big circle. Let go of the blue arrow and then type in the "count" box the number of small circles you want distributed around the edge of the big circle- try different values- it updates as you type so you can see when it looks right, then hit enter. Now use the "trim" tool to delete the pieces of the big circle that aren't needed. Finally, pull it up as thick as you want and make a center hole.

3D: In 3D mode pull the big circle up into a disc as thick as you want it. Sketch a small circle on the edge of the big disk, then pull it down to take a bite out of the big disc. Delete the surface of the remainder of the bite's circle. Select the "move" command, and select the wall of the small bite you just created. Move the center reference to the center of the big disc, select "create patterns", use the blue curved arrow to pull a copy of the bite around the disc a few degrees, let go, type in the number of bites you want distributed around the circle (say 20) then hit "tab" and enter 18 degrees. (18 x 20=360 so you'll get a full circle of evenly spaced bites if you want 30, use 360/30 = 12 degrees, etc.). Finally, drill a hole or whatever you need to do at the center of the thumbwheel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2016 08:34AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Attachments:
open | download - Thumbwheel.rsdoc (421.6 KB)
May 07, 2016 10:12AM
Thanks for your reply. I'm following your steps, and I can't make any more than one copy. I set the angle to 18 degrees, and I try to set the Count to 20, but it fails. Fails on 10, fails on 5, fails on 3. The error is, "Failed to create Pattern"

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
May 07, 2016 10:25AM
Nevermind, I figured it out once I started playing around with it a bit more. Thank for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login