Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone using Modo or Hexagon?

Posted by Wolfie 
Anyone using Modo or Hexagon?
February 10, 2015 02:42PM
I have an older version of Modo that I bought years ago for working with OBJs for Poser, Bryce and other 3D render apps. Is anyone using it for designing 3D print parts? Any caviats or things to look out for?

I also have Hexagon, again a few versions old. Any caviats or things to look out for with it?

I just orderd my Taz 4 so I haven't tried anything yet. I will go with the base software to begin with since all the instructions are based around that software. But I am fairly familiar with those two apps and wondered if they would be suitable for this application.

Also, is there an OBJ>STL and STL>OBJ converter, preferably free or cheap?

Is there any reason to do any UV mapping on OBJs designed for printing?
Re: Anyone using Modo or Hexagon?
February 12, 2015 11:45PM
Hello Wolfie,

I'm surprised MODO does not export to STL. You could always use Blender for conversion, it's a full-fledged open source polygonal modeler. There's also MeshLab, an open source mesh processor.

I'm not familiar with MODO and its workflow, but for 3D printing it is very important that mesh models be manifold. It means they should be "watertight", with no faces inside the volume, or slicer software will generate errors. An STL can contain multiple meshes, but they should not intersect each other. This means, if you have a cylinder intersecting a cube, you should apply a boolean union between the two objects so the inner faces of both objects disappear and leave a shell with no inner walls. I hope I was clear.

UV mapping is irrelevant, as far as I know the STL format does not support it.
Re: Anyone using Modo or Hexagon?
February 13, 2015 01:09PM
Well, I found out that Cura (from LulzBot's site) opens and imports OBJ. So all I need now is a STL>OBJ converter.

In MODO, yes you can flip polys. There is an option to view the normals so you can tell which way they face. Don't think there is a tool that checks if the shape is manifold. Are there tools out that can do that?

[www.thefoundry.co.uk]

The newest version (8.01) actually has a 3d Printing addon which hooks directly into Thingverse (good or bad, not judging).
[www.thefoundry.co.uk]

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age

New to 3D printing, not new to 3D or tinkering.
LulzBot Taz 5
Generic Chinese 50w 300x500 Laser Cutter/Engraver (Ebay:171066211150)
Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4, Modo, Hexagon, Bryce, Poser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login