Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

confused smiley MCAD with a specific feature?

Posted by cptwinder 
confused smiley MCAD with a specific feature?
January 13, 2010 10:42AM
I'm looking for a Design/Modeling/CAD package that will understand the edges of object and know you can't put a steel bolt through a steel beam without first making a hole. Does that make sense? What would this feature be called so I can google for software packages that have it?
VDX
Re: confused smiley MCAD with a specific feature?
January 13, 2010 10:52AM
... try with "tool collision" or intersection ...

Viktor
January 24, 2010 06:29PM
While I can use QCAD with great proficiency, 3D has been an ongoing struggle. My biggest struggle is accurately lining up pieces into an assembly. However, having spent most of the weekend researching 3D CAD packages, I believe I have found the solution.

Instead of approaching the problem by find a package that will detection part collisions, I discovered what I was neglecting to include, points that I could snap to. Now I have a better idea of how I should model my pieces, Sketchup appears to have all of the tools I need after adding a few plugins.

Thanks for the help though Viktor,

Jeremy
January 27, 2010 07:02PM
cptwinder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm looking for a Design/Modeling/CAD package that
> will understand the edges of object and know you
> can't put a steel bolt through a steel beam
> without first making a hole. Does that make sense?
> What would this feature be called so I can google
> for software packages that have it?

BRL-CAD will do that for you, using the rtcheck command. My first two days with BRL-CAD was utter frustration, the learning curve is quite steep. But once I got past the first hurdles, I've become more and more impressed with what it can do.
May 28, 2010 06:52AM
If I recall correct, Autodesk Inventor is quite friendly in this regard. There is a collision setting that allows you to slide objects until they run into things when you mate together assemblies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login