Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Software to add Base to 3D scan

Posted by bvoltz 
Software to add Base to 3D scan
September 21, 2013 09:49AM
I'm looking to find out what software people are using to add (extrude) a base on a object that has been scanned. So you scan a persons head, but you need to add a base so that will set on a table.

I have tried Netfabb (trial version) but can not figure it out. I think it requires the Professional version (which I have no problem with, I just want to see it work)..

I have tried Meshmixer (the new version) but want to slam my head on the table... I can not move or select or rotate anything with this software. And this version does not match what is online from others...

Any suggestions?
Re: Software to add Base to 3D scan
September 21, 2013 01:35PM
Depends on the data you have available! If you are with 3ds... you simply could add some geometry using C4D

If you go with a single mesh ( also triangle obj or native triangle mesh) you could try sculptris

on square face OBJ you could try Zbrush or Mudbox or eventually Truespace

if you are able to change to Stl ( not recommended but I dont know your possibilities or mathematical file base you could go with Rhino 3d which I use.

but all this programs except Truespace are commercial and some rather costly ( I dont know if sculptris is free but that is definitely worth a look for!)
September 21, 2013 08:27PM
Thanks... I receive STL files from the customer and they are raw scans, they will need a base added to them. I have been playing with Netfabb, but I would have to purchase the Pro version, and I'm not sure how well it will work...
September 21, 2013 11:59PM
Any mesh modeler could do what you ask for. There are free mesh modelers like Blender (very powerful but rather hard to use) and Art of Illusion (a little more user-friendly). But I have no experience with mesh modelers.

There is an extensive list of available software in the RepRap wiki.

[reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login