Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Tutorial] 2D Drawing to 3D Model Conversion

Posted by Stamps 
[Tutorial] 2D Drawing to 3D Model Conversion
May 27, 2013 08:04PM
Hey Everyone,

I volunteer at the Innovation Lab at my local city library focusing on 3D Printing, and I get asked by people all the time if and how they can go from their 2D drawing or logo to a 3D model suitable for 3D Printing.

So I've put together a step by step tutorial which I thought some people here might also find useful. The tutorial uses Inkscape (open source vector graphics editor) to vectorise the drawing and export it as a .svg or .dxf and then imports that into your CAD software. For CAD software I use Alibre Design, however once you have a compatible vector file the process will be similar no matter whether you use Tinkercad or Inventor.

Link: [matthewsmechanicalmarvels.com]

The uses so far have been for keyrings, jewellery design and little brand tokens.

If you find it useful or have any suggestions as to how you go about the process, let me know!

Cheers,

Matt
Hi Matt,

Thank you for your tutorial on how to go from 2D to 3D printer.

Could I please point out that our company (www.aspire3d.com) has a tool called FlexiDesign that mostly automatically turns 2D CAD models to 3D models of several CAD companies? Once the 3D model is available, you go through the same steps to get a 3D print as you would if you had created the 3D model directly. I would appreciate it if you would mention this in future editions of your tutorial.

Also, I would like to speak to you over the phone at your convenience. Please feel free to call me at 817-680-7923 at any time. Alternately, please suggest a time I can call you and I would be happy to call you.

Once again, thank you for your post.

Dr. Venkat Devarajan
President and CEO of Imagecom Inc.
www.aspire3d.com
Re: [Tutorial] 2D Drawing to 3D Model Conversion
August 14, 2013 05:35AM
Ha Ha

FlexiDesign cost $1500 discounted by 50% till 15/09/2013. I think I will be sticking to the tutorial method at that price
Re: [Tutorial] 2D Drawing to 3D Model Conversion
August 14, 2013 09:51PM
You remember that Monty Python sketch?

[screaming]I don't like spam![/screaming]

I didn't report it because the last time I did, the whole topic was deleted! eye rolling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login