Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What CAD software to use SKETCHUP SKETCHFAB OPENSCAD TCKERCAD

Posted by crendon2854 
What CAD software to use SKETCHUP SKETCHFAB OPENSCAD TCKERCAD
April 29, 2013 03:10AM
First off im new to all this and have been trying out SKETCHUP and SKETCHFAB for over a week. I will be scanning with Carmine 1.09 w/ a lense and eventually scale and maybe ad a base to my models with a CAD software. With lots to choose from I narrowed it down to two programs.

1. SKETCHUP was not the best 3d modeling software out there but was the most popular one and goes well with beginners says the author, but need to download all these plugins to access some features. ( Sketchup community sketchuaction.com offers training material for $50 a year premium service, but I happen to run into free lesson on youtube)

2. SKETCHFAB WebGlpbased tool that allows 3d modellers to show objects in 3d will full vantage control, 3d viewer you can embed on any webpage. It is a bit like youtube, but for 3d files. ( this sounds intriguing and so far it looks friendly but haven't used it long enough to direct me, and there's no mention if it's for beginners or not.)

I've only read about TICKERCAD so far, web based program that is taking the 3d printer world by storm according to the author. Also for 3d modeling beginners. (There's no mention on the benefits of using web based program, it's also being closed now and in transition into Airstonelabs, If i'm not mistaken)

Will these two programs do the job?, or am I missing perhaps another program that would help me achieve my ready to print model. I've also read about mesh and G-Code before sending the print job to the printer, is that also included in the CAD software mentioned above? Or what about openscad, I hear it mention alot as well, sorry i'm all over the place here, I'm sooo new to this. I appreciate any help!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2013 03:19AM by crendon2854.
Re: What CAD software to use SKETCHUP SKETCHFAB OPENSCAD TCKERCAD
April 29, 2013 04:05AM
If you are getting into scanning and modeling I would have thought you should be considering Blender.
see www.blender.org
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login