Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need general advice on 3d design software

Posted by tattooedfish 
Need general advice on 3d design software
March 22, 2013 04:41PM
Let's say I'm complete novice and know absolutely nothing when it comes to how to design models in 3d space. My main focus is easy to use and supporting tutorials on how to do it. I really don't want a limited software that doesn't do.a lot but I don't want to be overwhelmed.

I just want to be able to make my own designs to print as I see a need to.print something instead of.hoping someone else has made it already.
Re: Need general advice on 3d design software
March 22, 2013 09:38PM
17 views and no response tough crowd. I am assuming this might be something that has been answered over and over and over.

I know a lot of the good programs out there that are popular just wondered if anyone had any good suggestions on tutorials if anything else.
March 23, 2013 02:14PM
If you're totally new to 3D cad, I'd recommend that you download Sketchup and do their tutorials. Very simple, and at no cost (aside from your time).
Sketchup does not compare with higher end design tools, but as I noted it's free, so at least you won't have buyer's remorse if it all ends up being too much and you decide that 3D design isn't for you. If nothing else, Sketchup can give you some basic 3D footing for moving forward in the learning process and help you to evaluate any commercial program you might encounter down the road..
Please check out our 3D design platform www.3Dream.net. There is a free trail that contains 10% of the catologue for you to experiment with and see if it's right for your needs.
This is an online, Virtual Room Design System that will allow you to give the consumer the opportunity to view all the "what ifs" of furniture accessories, architectural products, paints, finishes, etc in a live, navigable environment - then capture your ideas as jPegs to send to your clients. This easy to use 3-d environment uses technology similar to that of realistic video games. Please let me know if you require more information or have any further questions.
March 25, 2013 05:10PM
Autodesk Inventor Fusion is the best tool I've tried so far (and I've tried every single free tool available for Macs)

Cheers,
Franklin Dattein
March 30, 2013 04:11PM
If you only want to create your own stuff you could try Autodesks 123D Design. They have a windows, Mac and web based version. It's free and has some issues but does work well. I have created a cell case and other things pretty easily.
April 11, 2013 07:06AM
hi
When looking at 3D cad its important to distinguish the engineering tools packages with hierarchical tree structure shape control and those like sketch-up that are 2D planes assembled objects, the first is what engineers use as you cannot end up with holes in your final structures and the second is what graphic designers and initial sketches and some architects use.

Now finally there is a reasonable engineers tool available that's FREE and open so continually developing, FreeCad

[sourceforge.net]

Only in the last few months has it gone to full assemblies etc...

Do a few tutorials first I recommend,

It is also one of the most straight forward to use!

kind regards
MetalicaRap team
April 18, 2013 01:02AM
Hello,

Just want to correct what rapatan said. Although an Assembly module is in development, it has yet to be included in FreeCAD. This does not mean you cannot build assemblies in FreeCAD, you can. Just that the different parts do not have 3D constraints/relationships between them like in commercial software such as SolidWorks. But it will come. smiling smiley
July 30, 2013 03:43AM
It is not free ( and if you are no student or teacher is ather costly, but in my opinion ist worth a look - Rhino3D -

( there is a Trial with 25 saves for free downoad and some time ago I wrote a modelling tutorial to help people to dig into this stuff!)

If you would be interested - send me a hint!
July 30, 2013 12:10PM
Rhino is NOT cheap. It costs $995 USD!!! How can you justify that much for personal use.

Also it may be a very good CAD package but I am an experienced CAD user and I find its UI not very user-friendly and confusing.

tattooedfish did mention he was a complete novice, there are a lot of free software out there (and easier to grasp too) he can try first.
July 30, 2013 01:00PM
If you break the knot ist pretty much intuitive!

and if your a student ( I think the 4.0 Version was about 3xxBucks ) Check out Truespace ... It has a modeller ist NURBS CPABLE and it exports ( as I know ... I'm busy with other programs (C4D) ) OBJ

[www.chip.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login