Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to edit Thingiverse STL files

Posted by shadowjig 
VDX
Re: How to edit Thingiverse STL files
May 06, 2013 01:42AM
... I'm mostly using Ligtwave 7.5 - here it's made with selecting all the triangles of the element to resize (e.g. the bore cylinder) and scale it in trespect to the center either manually or by numerical value.

Or (for making bigger holes) construct a cylinder with the targed dimensions on a different layer and make a boolean subtract from the original object ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
crob
August 26, 2013 09:19PM
Sublime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not all models are made with solid modellers. Some
> are made with mesh modelling tools like Blender,
> Mesh lab, Art of illusion, Wings, Z brush, etc,
> etc, etc. Most of them will edit the stl's as
> well.Take the time to learn one.
>
> Trying to force people to provide drawing and
> source code shows how little you appreciate the
> work they did in the first place. Be glad they
> shared at ALL.

Thank You!!!

All great products worth trying, I like Mesh-lab so far and have to try the others.
August 27, 2013 05:39AM
Lets say it this way:

STL is a one way ticket!

Deviating geometries from a mathematically defined model (Step; 3DM etc) to e.g. STL or VRML or one of the more illustrative file formats like OBJ oder 3ds always leads to a discretization of information ( in case of the illustrative files the renderer/ shader afterwards improves the facette look to back into a smooth appearance - the discretization is made to save calculation time and the improvement is just for the visualization not for the geometry!
A SPLINE or NURBS mesh always relates to functions similar to polynoms so you can calculate for each point on such an object an individual solution.

STL and the others consist of triangles or squares which have straight / flat facettes - so any additional information is lost in conversion and can not be restored! For manufacturing, maximum conversion quality is reached as the longest edge on the largest triangle is defined equal or smaller than the possible step resolution of the machine axis!! This would mean huge files ( larger than the mathematical files which were the origin) and so usually the resolution is chosen to be much lower!!

This is a typical OBJ or VRML Mesh

This is done from a typical mathematical model ( you still can see the isobate lines on the surfaces)

Hj

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2013 05:44AM by Optimist.
August 27, 2013 06:40PM
Optimist
STL is a one way ticket!

That's one nice way to put it.

I'm not as nice: I call STL "garbage out". Because to experienced CAD users, that's what it is. winking smiley

STL is unsuitable for most large-scale manufacturing processes (injection molding) and even some small-scale ones (CNC machining).
August 29, 2013 02:43PM
That is what I mean ... just deviate a STL IF and when you need it, but further work on the mathematical source and just use STL as a pre post processor interface and only of your CAM is not able to handle better formats!

For HWC or Routing as Turning I'm lucky as I use a CAD with an integrated scripting engine - similar to VBA - not REAL TIME FAST but it works,,,

HWC

[www.youtube.com]

Routing

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Turning

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 02:48PM by Optimist.
February 17, 2017 10:36AM
So basically after reading all of this and many other things elsewhere there is no real way to edit .STL files. Since most things you get from Thingiverse do not include original solid model files, the closest I have come in some cases is the .scad files for OpenSCAD. These you can edit the mathematical code and then regenerate the solid to be exported is .STL. In the case of one thing I am working on manually manipulating close to 100 triangles to increase the depth of a 10mm diameter pocket by 1mm is way more trouble than it should be. Perhaps I have missed something somewhere along the line though.

John Guenther
Anderson, Indiana
U.S.A.
February 17, 2017 02:42PM
What I've done several times is to import an STL file into OnShape.com, then "trace" the mesh outline to produce a new model. Circles and arcs can be regenerated using 3 points, and Bezier curves can be approximated. This works well if the object is geometric rather than organic.

I'm also using Meshmixer more nowadays to manipulate STLs. That has some good tools for selecting multiple triangles.
February 17, 2017 03:38PM
I regularily change and adjust stl files. The key difference is that i use a polygonal modeller (Cinema 4D) instead of a CAD application. It is usually not a big deal.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
March 11, 2017 09:41PM
Sketchup is free. Import the STL file, then explode it. You can then manipulate any way you want.
I sometimes use TurboCAD depending on what I want to do.
April 15, 2017 03:33PM
I always download stls from thingiverse. I then import into sketchup, import not file open. Next i use a free plugin/e,tension from the warehouse called cleanup by thomtom or something like that. Cleanup will eliminate thousands of lines. Then i can usually do what i need. Some artifacts are left. Another handy plugin is available to make solid. I do have thoughts like the original poster, if you put something on thingiverse please share the source. I always design in sketchup AND i post all skp source files. That is what open source sharing is all about imho
April 18, 2017 08:43AM
Is there a way to learn measuments of these files or convert them to 3d model? I need to import them in solidworks or at least i need measurments to draw them in solidworks.
Attachments:
open | download - Quart_petit_bouclier.STL (102 KB)
open | download - Croisillon_Y3_Bouclier.STL (41.7 KB)
open | download - Plaque_Centrale_Connecteur.STL (32.3 KB)
April 18, 2017 01:56PM
You could take exact measurements of stl files in netfabb, even the free version, last time I tried. "Extras" menu, then "new measurement".

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
April 19, 2017 09:46PM
@ dronemaker92 It seems SolidWorks can import STL files directly.

[help.solidworks.com]

I'm surprised you didn't think of checking about this first.
April 23, 2017 08:41PM
@NormandC thanks for your repley. I already try it before. Its not working. I cant see any dimensions, angle or someting when i use FutureWorks. Any other ideas? I cant find a way to cenvert stl files to 3d models. So i need dimensions and angles only and i can draw them in SolidWorks.
April 23, 2017 08:42PM
@DeuxVis i will give it a try. Thank you.
April 24, 2017 11:01PM
What's FutureWorks?

I haven't used SolidWorks in years. For personal projects I prefer to use open source software on an open source operating system. As it happens, FreeCAD (also available on proprietary operating systems winking smiley ) can convert STL files to solid.

[www.freecadweb.org]

Once done, you can export to STEP then import into SolidWorks.

Just remember that an STL file is a polygon mesh, it does not have smooth surfaces. For example a cylindrical surface is actually made of multiple facets. When converting to solid, it will not smooth the surfaces. For that you have no choice but to rebuild the model.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2017 11:03PM by NormandC.
June 06, 2017 03:45PM
Hi Guys
If you read his posts all he wants to know is what software to mess about with Thingiverse files.
I'd like to know too.
Thanks
Adrian
June 08, 2017 06:24PM
Adrian,

Read the topic over again. The first post specifically asks about STL files (which is the file format overwhelmingly used on Thingiverse). All the replies try to answer the question.

Reality check: if you want a simple answer you won't get any. Which is why this topic is 2 pages long.
March 07, 2019 03:33PM
TinkerCAD.

This is what it does best.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
March 03, 2020 01:35PM
Edit: OMG, I didn't see the second page of this thread facepalm!

To be honest, Blender is not the best software if you know nothing about it, although I encourage to learn it because:
- It's Open Source
- It's free
- It can do whatever you want: Split, modify, create, measure it, animate things and create a video, etc.
- It has a great and big community (infinite information, lots of free plugins)
- There are infinite tutorials on Youtube, for any user level.

Keep in mind that there are 2 differents kind of software to create/modify STL:
- CAD software: FreeCad, SolidWork
- organic modelling: Blender, Rhinoceros, etc..

If you don't like blender, just search on Youtube. I really don't know your level on those softwares, so maybe the one I suggest is not for you.

Some Examples:
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2020 01:36PM by Lepes.
March 03, 2020 04:56PM
I use Tinkercad simple, free online Cad editing program.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
March 03, 2020 05:59PM
I use TinkerCAD to hack Thingiverse STL files. You can do some very sophisticated things with TinkerCAD. Play around with it and see.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
March 03, 2020 06:03PM
Lepes
Edit: OMG, I didn't see the second page of this thread facepalm!

To be honest, Blender is not the best software if you know nothing about it, although I encourage to learn it because:
- It's Open Source
- It's free
- It can do whatever you want: Split, modify, create, measure it, animate things and create a video, etc.
- It has a great and big community (infinite information, lots of free plugins)
- There are infinite tutorials on Youtube, for any user level.

Keep in mind that there are 2 differents kind of software to create/modify STL:
- CAD software: FreeCad, SolidWork
- organic modelling: Blender, Rhinoceros, etc..

If you don't like blender, just search on Youtube. I really don't know your level on those softwares, so maybe the one I suggest is not for you.

Some Examples:
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Blender can do cool stuff. Unfortunately, you need to be an expert before you can be a beginner!
There are no manuals to speak of, people's advice assumes you already know how to drive it, and the user interface is horrific. You know, Open Source. smiling smiley

I have done some useful stuff with it, but heck, I tried for an hour just to change the UI colors to something other than gray text on black background...And failed.

Folks need to stop adding stuff to it and start making it usable (IMO).

DLC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2020 06:04PM by dlc60.

March 04, 2020 05:46AM
dlc60
Blender can do cool stuff. Unfortunately, you need to be an expert before you can be a beginner!
There are no manuals to speak of, people's advice assumes you already know how to drive it, and the user interface is horrific. You know, Open Source. smiling smiley

I have done some useful stuff with it, but heck, I tried for an hour just to change the UI colors to something other than gray text on black background...And failed.

Folks need to stop adding stuff to it and start making it usable (IMO).

DLC

If you think so, you didn't find the correct Youtuber for you. There are plenty of videos and courses "learning Blender from scratch".
Videos always say press some Hotkey but nobody tells you that those hotkeys are on the menu bar, so the first time He uses that hotkey, He should teachs you where it is. You can forget that hotkey, but you will not forget where is the menu option.

I understand what you said and I agree with you on some aspects. Interface has been changed 3 times since I started with it. It is not a problem for me, my workflow is exactly the same in all versions.

Do you know that each text box where you type numbers is a calculator in blender? You can introduce expression like "34.86*2" (to duplicate size) or "sin(45)" (if you like)

Do you know you can turn around selection? I can not move my camera around an object if I don't use that preference. A few people use that tool, select a vertice and then orbit with middle mouse button around it, I love it!.

Yes, you need to master blender and then, you start again as a noob discovering something that is 15 years implemented and nobody told you smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login