Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I attach a hot end to Wades extruder?

Posted by Flackster 
How do I attach a hot end to Wades extruder?
May 25, 2011 12:40PM
I was just putting my hot end onto my new Wades extruder when I realised I can't see how

I can see that there are some holes that can take M3(+) screws (leading to the large hole that will take the 16mm PTFE barrier).

The wiki page (http://reprap.org/wiki/Wade%27s_Geared_Extruder#The_Hot_End_...) says "Attach a length of 16 mm OD PTFE using the two M bolts to pin it in place. I pre-drilled the PTFE mounting holes with a 2.3 mm drill, which made for a tight friction fit." but I'm not 100% certain what "M bolts" it means. Also the holes I mean are more like tight M4 holes (not 2.3 mm)

Near the top of that wiki page it gives lists these parts for mounting the hot end

2 X M3X35 bolts;
4 X M3 washers;
2 X M3 nuts;

Do I need to melt 2 M3 nuts into the extruder where the 16mm PTFE barrier goes in?

Thanks

Pete
Re: How do I attach a hot end to Wades extruder?
May 25, 2011 01:29PM
You should insert the insulator in the bracket and drill through with a 2.5mm drill and then screw through the M3 bolts. The idea being they tap an M3 thread in the soft plastic. That might be hard work. I use an M3 tap. I have also used M2.5 bolts. Drilling through a bit bigger would also make it easier.

You don't need any nuts as they wont go anywhere with the downwards force.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 01:30PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 26, 2011 02:20AM
Of course - obvious now I see what you say

I think that I assumed I couldn't touch the PTFE barrier at all but of course there 6.5mm plastic each side of the 3mm central hole to play with.

I expect I'll drill a 3mm hole and go with that

Cheers

Pete
May 26, 2011 01:50PM
If you use a 3mm drill to drill out the PTFE, you won't get as tight a fit, and your hot end may wobble during printing. Why not use the 2.3 or 2.5 mm bit as suggested?

Wade
May 26, 2011 11:14PM
I use four M4x8mm set screws through the four holes on the sides, right on to PTFE insulator. I don't drill into the insulator, just clamp it using the set screws. It fits really tight, and does not wobble when printing (Wildseyed hot end)
May 27, 2011 04:19AM
OK,

Will start with 2.5 mm
Stupid question: If I use a 2.5mm drill doesn't that mean it'll be too tight to even get the 3mm screws in at all? That's why I assumed I should start with a 3mm drill. I guess not

I like the idea of the M4 set screws too but am a tad worried about ruining the holes if I get it wrong

Cheers

Pete
May 27, 2011 09:53AM
2.5mm is the correct size for tapping M3. I.e. the inner diameter of the thread is about 2.5mm. If you have an M3 tap it is perfect. Without a tap it might be hard work to tap the thread with the screw, but possible, especially with ABS rather than PLA.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 27, 2011 02:01PM
I use M4 because that's what the local Home Depot carries. I probably would not go smaller, simply because I am supporting the entire extruder with these on the PTFE, which is not a hard material. I'm actually quite surprised that it works. But it does beautifully.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login