Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Machined Extruder- Thorp's build log

Posted by Thorp 
Re: Machined Extruder- Thorp's build log
January 06, 2011 08:18AM
Nice progress Thorp.

Is the Heater block and nozzle one piece?

You may have some problems from the bolts mounting the heaterblock to the body, they will conduct heat from the heater block up into the Alu body? You may need to add a thermal insulator or change the PEEK to screw into the hot-end?

Is the Worm Metal? Do you see any issues with using a metal worm and Nylon/Delrin gear, I built an all Nylon one and it seems to be lasting ok, but I have now moved away from worm over to Herringbone gears for the new model.

How heavy is it?
I imagine you could convert is to use a Bowden cable (PTFE Tube) quite easily, this would resolve the issue of the hot-end being connected to the body.

If you have not yet drilled your end nozzles you may want to make one 0.5 and the other 0.35, you could do really nice outlines and fast infill.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 06, 2011 08:49PM
The heater block and nozzle are two separate parts, made on the mill and lathe respectively.

I was first thinking of using nylon machine screws to insulate the block but that won't work due to melting points. I will probably end up insulating metal screws with peek washers instead. It is a valid concern!

The worm is metal. The two parts are matched to each other. I am curious to see what will give way first in the case of a jam.

How heavy is it?
Is 'Too heavy for my scale' a good answer? smiling smiley
I'm going to take a good deal of material off but I'm also going to be adding some back on. If it's too heavy for my mendel, I will probably modify my mendel for leadscrews.

I drilled both nozzles with a #79 drill... .0145" .37mm, but I expect the holes are a thou or two larger. I plan to use ABS/PLA and use the PLA as support material. Last I checked, that seemed to be working for the few people that tried it. I can make more nozzles with larger diameters for infill. That's a interesting idea.
February 03, 2011 10:33AM
locks nice....

what is the thermal barrier build of? Is this PTFE or something else?

my projects: [www.robotik.dyyyh.de] ...
July 28, 2012 08:42PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

It looks like I've taken a bit of a hiatus, but I think it's time that I get back into doing the things that I enjoy. I quite my corporate 9-5 job this last week with the intent of slimming down on my living expenses and working towards commercializing some of my projects. There are several projects that I'd like to work on but with only 24 hours in the day, I need to prioritize time. I'm excited to get back to this extruder, but I'm not up to date on all the latest and greatest.

What commercial dual extruders are available? Pros and Cons to them?

Is the software at a point where both extruders can be easily used?

And most importantly:
If I were to take this prototype to a pre-production stage, and then create a kickstart proposal with the intent on manufacturing 50 or 100, would you be likely to 'pledge'.
July 28, 2012 08:48PM
Oh... and I'm putting together a NC lathe.
Should make that hot end design a lot more versatile!
July 28, 2012 09:54PM
I think the best part of all this.... I have two years of nophead blogs to catchup on!
July 29, 2012 11:16AM
Personally I like the ones made for PG35L steppers smiling smiley

For a commercial dual setup, makerbot have one that seem to work with their latest model called the Replicator.

about // liberapay // flickr // wiki // thingiverse - github
July 29, 2012 02:36PM
Great to see you back Thorp! I'm going to keep an eye on progress, I always wanted you to finish this extruder, if I can be of any assistance at all, do let me know, & more than happy to help sound out ideas.

Cheers,

Rich.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
July 29, 2012 06:38PM
Emmanuel, why do you like the PG35L steppers? pros and cons?

Richrap, I just checked out your paste extruder printing bunnies with frosting. Very very cool.

Direction on the project:
I don't think I'm happy with the extruder design but I need to get over it and get printing with what I have. Once I'm extruding I can experiment with other concepts. In order to get there, I need a) electronics to run the printer and b) to machine and fit the remaining extruder parts
(I will be modifying the heating block to add room for an insulator between it and it's mounting screws.)

What are people using for electronics these days?
I have an arduino mega and was building my own shield to run a printer, but I have decided to forego that endeavor for now and get printing. Are there any good arduino sheilds for purchase?
Attachments:
open | download - Photo Jul 29, 2 04 21 PM-1600.jpg (118.4 KB)
July 29, 2012 08:00PM

Are there any good arduino sheilds for purchase?

Perhaps the times of Arduino shields are gone. About all recent developments work without an Arduino under it. RAMPS is the famous exception smiling smiley

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 22, 2012 04:46AM
Thorp
Emmanuel, why do you like the PG35L steppers? pros and cons?

Pro : Cheaper than a nema14 or a nema17, light (~100gr?), powerful smiling smiley
Cons : they tend to be hot

Have a looks at the thing with this tag on thingiverse too : PG35L

about // liberapay // flickr // wiki // thingiverse - github
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login