Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lyman V5 laser guide / filament spooler

Posted by sungod3k 
Lyman V5 laser guide / filament spooler
March 29, 2015 05:16AM
Hi,

I just checked out the Lyman V5 and noticed the spooling mechanism. Im using the Filastruder together with a filawinder but on a technical level the Lyman winder seems smarter.

So how is that thing holding up in practice? anyone build that and can share some experiences?

Cheers
Re: Lyman V5 laser guide / filament spooler
March 29, 2015 05:06PM
You can't use it with the filastruder. The puller is based on a slipping connection between motor and spool without effecting the filament as the filament is being pulled. If you would use the lyman spooler on the filastruder it will start to pull on the filament creating fluctuation and/or worse (breakage)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 06:03PM by Frans@France.
March 29, 2015 05:27PM
I dont mean the spooler alone. The laser guide and puller as well.

The Filastruder winder doesnt measure the diamter of the extrusion and only adjust the speed of the spooling. So that assumes the diameter is constant, which took a long time to achieve and Im still not perfectly there.
The laser guide from the lyman measures the diameter directly as far as I understand the set up and feeds it back to the puller right? Or is it also feeding back to the main extrude motor?

I think you could use laser, puller and spooler on any extrusion machine, if it really works. For example the to make my filastruder winder work it took a major update of the feedback algorithm to smooth the spooling down so far that it would stutter and pull the filament out of its laserguide, so I want to know where the lyman spooling set up is in its evolution.

I've also seen the laser guide used to check filament diameter on a 3d printer directly to adjust and feedback the to the extruder, so I guess that seems to work.

Are you working with the lyman yourself?
March 29, 2015 06:02PM
The filament sensor is a led\photoarray based sensor, not laser. The firmware has an option to feedback the fluctuation into the puller control. There is also a setup where the sensor data is used to control the extruder motor.

If you visit the thingiverse page for the lyman v5 you can read all about the effort of getting the PID to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login