Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pivoting build base?

Posted by Cheshire 
Pivoting build base?
May 20, 2010 12:23PM
As there doesn't seem to be any options for a reliable support material in the world of reprap for the extruded plastic solutions... has it been pondered of using a pivoting base/build platform so that 'vertical' parts can be printed on the side of an object, effectively making them a free floating limb?
Re: Pivoting build base?
May 20, 2010 03:19PM
Nobody has tried it to my knowledge. Somebody did suggest rotating the whole machine to address "sag" issues. It's also been suggested to add a couple of degrees of freedom to the toolhead to allow prints on the side of existing parts. The main drawbacks that I've heard of for such a scheme are:

1. MUCH more complex software to control the toolhead/platform without running into existing parts of the part.
2. With more degrees of freedom accuracy can become a concern.
3. cost.

These can all be overcome, it just awaits somebody to actually do it.

Support material solves almost the same problem, and is simpler to implement. It has been done experimentally only.

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
VDX
May 20, 2010 05:23PM
... use HDPE as building material, PS as support and solve the PS when finished with Acetone, its much easier than a more complex mechanics ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 20, 2010 06:08PM
I don't think HDPE will stick to PS. ABS on PLA definitely works though.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 20, 2010 11:05PM
I'm familiar with ABS and HDPE, but not PS or PLA, nor setup to use multiple materials?

(Does the PS regulate / better control some of the issues HDPE has regarding warpings/such?)
May 21, 2010 01:42PM
Nobody has tried it to my knowledge.

Daniel Lipsker figured it out, but it is not part of the RepRap toolchain yet.
[reprap.org]

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login