Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

direct-fabbing with thinner filaments

Posted by VDX 
VDX
direct-fabbing with thinner filaments
February 26, 2010 06:54AM
Hi all,

with our actual extruder-design we can't go down in filament-diameter under 0.2mm ... or with some tricks as stretching it by faster movement than extruding speed, and such ...

But when using very thin plastic wire, e.g. fishing line with 0.1mm or thinner and a melting/fusing device, you can overcome this limitation.

As i posted in the SpoolHead-Wiki-Talk, with direct laser-fusing a thin plastic-wire on a surface you can build any filament-width you can feed:

... i'm brainstorming with an aditional toolhead feeding really thin plastic-wires (0.1mm fishing line or thinner), touching with the end of the wire the surface and with a dode-laser (see [Development:Laser Cutter]) melting/fusing the tip down to the surface.

Retracting the fiber while a piece of the tip is molten and in contact with the surface should snap the wire from the molten blob, so you can place single droplets of plastic.

With moving and rotating the tool-head and feeding the wire with the moving-speed you'll draw a contour-line similar to FDM but with the thickness of the molten wire (e.g. 0.05mm or even smaller?)

For better absorbing the laser-energy you should use dark coloured or pigmented palstic ... with a CO2-laser (10600nm Wavelength) instead of a diode-laser (typically 808, 905 or 975nm) and very low powers you can melt all light or transparent plastics too ...

If someone is in need of even smaller droplets, i've developed a method of mechanically placing droplets of high viscous materials (fluids, pastes or molten materials) in diameters from some ten micrometers down to submicron range ;-)

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login