Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DMLS -Direct Metal Laser Sintering- Build Steel Parts for CHEAP

Posted by Tim Ruffner 
Direct Metal Laser Sintering- Build Steel Parts for CHEAP
August 08, 2012 06:50AM
To build steel apts for cheap you have to use ShopNotes which provides you stackable plastic types that
are available almost anywhere
Re: DMLS -Direct Metal Laser Sintering- Build Steel Parts for CHEAP
August 10, 2012 12:24AM
Guys - Nitrogen is not a suitable atmosphere for bonding steel - you will end up making useless nitride ceramic powder at best.

Bonding powder in CO2 atmosphere might be possible, but will likely result in excessive brittleness. CO2 is used in MIG welding gas for mild steel because it helps stabilize the arc and broaden the heat of the arc. One other thing to know about pure CO2 is because it is also used in carbonizing systems for soda - when the bottle runs empty it sometimes siphons syrup back into the bottle - so often CO2 bottles can be contaminated and are unsuitable for welding.

A pure inert atmosphere is probably best (Argon). Commonly available high % Argon mixes (80/20 or 90/10) would also probably be acceptable.

Low vacuum would also probably work, but would likely be excessively complicated and expensive to rig vs. purging with inert gas.
So if someone is to make a DMLS machine fully functional at home, is that infringing on anything? what about open sourcing the plans? Will bigger companies come after someone? I mean it's not an issue for RepRap project but did the patent run out on that for 3D extruded printers or something?
VDX
March 06, 2013 03:06PM
... with IP's it's more complex - sometimes the 'basic' patent for a technology runs out, but the inventing company files related patents for special solutions ... e.g. using a housing for better temp-control ... or feeding methodes of the filament ...

This patents were filed years after the basic one, so they'll manage to elongate the 'protecting' time for some ten years more eye rolling smiley

AFAIK 3DSsystems has around 7000 patents relating to the SLA-UV-3D-printing process -- so they can go against new starting competitors even after the basic patent is freed ... see the formlabs UV-printer ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
So essentially formlabs is taking on a big risk here by potentially being sued at any point in time? How about if they weren't selling it but open sourced everything does that change much? Would the company still go after you if you do not make any profit? I mean there is so many people building SLA UV machines (simple search on youtube) is it not a problem anymore since it's become "common knowledge" on how these set-ups are built?

What I am essentially trying to get at is, this thread is dedicated for DMLS, ie. people are trying to build these machines. What are the risks if you do succeed from a legal point of view if a)you do not try to commercialize it like formlabs b)open source it c)use it for your own needs and build things with potential profit on products? I mean DMLS machines are more expensive and more complex so would they be more likely to care then?

sorry for all the questions...i'm just trying to get my head wrapped about this since it is obviously an exciting thing.
I see what you were talking about now... they have been sued "http://blog.makezine.com/2012/11/21/3d-systems-suing-formlabs-and-kickstarter-for-patent-infringement/" sad...
VDX
March 07, 2013 02:34AM
... for private use you can build and use anything, regardles, if it has IP's or not ... but if you blog about or go comercial, then patent-holders, that find their IP's touched, can sue you ... but they mostly don't go for 'small fishes', as long it's not enough money to earn eye rolling smiley

To avoid such problems (and for solving known issues) , I'm often inventing my own methodes/tools and sometimes even makes patents or trademarks about them. Made this with a special design of a laserplotter around 1996, a nano/micro-motor concept 1998 and some tools and methodes for microtech, stereoscopy and nano-dispening from 2001 to 2005 ... made it mostly to prevent 'hostile' IP's ...

Actually I'm again working on alternatives to FDM-printing for wires and direct melting for powdered materials with higher accuracy and wider materials range than the common systems ... again, mostly to avoid IP-infringements, but could be a good methode to 'hold your back free' for community-driven developments winking smiley

A german guy (active here too) recently filed a patent with his company for easy releasing UV-DLP-3D-prints from the vial bottom when printing bottom-up ... and encourages the community to use (and optimize) this methode for DIY-printers! .. much better than blocking competition for decades like the 'big players' spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

September 25, 2013 05:57PM
Hello, is there anything new in building your own DIY DMLS printer?
VDX
September 26, 2013 04:57PM
... focussing on metal sintering/melting: [www.metalbot.org]

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login