Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which ABS pellets for filament extruder?

Posted by Gyvven 
Which ABS pellets for filament extruder?
November 22, 2013 12:28PM
I've been trying to find this info listed somewhere here but I haven't found it.

There are several bundles ABS pellets listed on places like Eba* and even some on Amaz** at ok prices, but many of their descriptions say good for injection molding, blow molding AND extrusion molding. I know there is a difference between injection molding and extrusion molding materials, but in the long run does it really matter? I'm wondering if these sellers even know what they have.

I know I should just place an order with a reputable vendor so I know what I'm getting, but maybe I'm not the only one looking at buying pellets from these people and this information could be really useful.

Thanks,
Gyv
Re: Which ABS pellets for filament extruder?
November 23, 2013 10:43AM
December 05, 2013 03:32AM
The natural ABS plastic pellets that I use for my X3uder are produced by LG an sold in packages of 25 kg and cost 82.70 Euro (20% VAT included) - 3.3 Euro per kg!!!
The pellets are LG HF380 with MFR 43 g/10 min (220C/10kg) datasheet: [catalog.ides.com]
You can buy them from [www.resinex.com] if there is an office nearby - they have offices in 31 European countries.
December 17, 2013 04:43PM
Sadly the UK website doesn't show LG ABS pellets, have you tried any other types?

Seems plastic pellets are not easy to find in the UK....
December 18, 2013 05:11AM
Really strange! But the well known to be good pellets Sabic IP MG94 (Cycolac is their other brandname) are available in UK and not in Bulgaria, so you are more lucky smiling smiley

[www.resinex.co.uk]
[catalog.ides.com]

Could you, please share what is the price for a 25 kg bag if you plan to ask them?

Important thing to note when trying to find good pellets is to search for High-flow, injection moulding and for thin wall applications, which is exactly the opposite logic of our machines - extruders. Generally there are 2 types of ABS - for injection moulding and for extrusion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 05:20AM by mirox3m.
December 22, 2013 07:47AM
Have you tried your extruder with PLA?
December 23, 2013 03:08PM
I haven't tested PLA and I don't plan to use PLA anymore. As I have read in Filastruder section of Solidoodle forum, it is much harder to make filament from it, since it needs to be cooled down to a much lower temperature.

My eMAKERshop items: [www.emakershop.com]
December 27, 2013 10:08AM
mirox3m
I haven't tested PLA and I don't plan to use PLA anymore. As I have read in Filastruder section of Solidoodle forum, it is much harder to make filament from it, since it needs to be cooled down to a much lower temperature.

No, it just needs to be pre dried. Additional cooling is not needed.
A2
December 27, 2013 03:19PM
greenman100
mirox3m

No, it just needs to be pre dried. Additional cooling is not needed.

PLA

Drying Temperature:
Range: 45°C to 100°C, (113ºF to 212ºF)

Dry time:
Range: 4 hours.
August 19, 2014 09:28AM
mirox3m
Really strange! But the well known to be good pellets Sabic IP MG94 (Cycolac is their other brandname) are available in UK and not in Bulgaria, so you are more lucky smiling smiley

[www.resinex.co.uk]
[catalog.ides.com]

Could you, please share what is the price for a 25 kg bag if you plan to ask them?

Important thing to note when trying to find good pellets is to search for High-flow, injection moulding and for thin wall applications, which is exactly the opposite logic of our machines - extruders. Generally there are 2 types of ABS - for injection moulding and for extrusion.

Hello Mirox, how are you?
I have a problem regarding the LG 380HF ABS. I'm getting a lot of gas inside the filament. Could you please tell me the environment that you are using to extrude it successfully? For instance... temperatures, speed, etc? I gave my extruder 2 extra temperature controllers, plus the matrix one.
Thanks!
August 19, 2014 09:41AM
Hi,

There is moisture, but gas.....?!
It comes out rough and not glass smooth, except if you dry it before. I am not drying it and it prints nicely with 0.1 mm layer height and 0.35 nozzle.
I am extruding it at 210 Celsius (as per my thermistor) and printing at 230

Regards

Miro
August 19, 2014 09:54AM
I let the resin to dry for 3 hours. I have just started a new topic about it and I posted there 2 photos:
[forums.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login