Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

clear plastic

Posted by Nanakisan 
clear plastic
May 03, 2009 02:10AM
I'm curious to the extent of the plastics materials provided. can the repraps make a clear plastic like used in water bottles and such and still have color or would it have to be plain ordinary poly polypropylene that is clear. sorry for the weird wording and such i'm totally new to reprapping and i havent even a machine yet and i'm just curious how far it can go because i have one model i made in 3D i so want to make real for a friend. Thanks
Re: clear plastic
May 03, 2009 04:15AM
I'm not sure what you're saying but the RepRap does not currently have the ability to print in more than one color per print. Surely you could feed it some kind of transparent plastic, but I think the way the object is made would render the transparency useless as the parts built aren't homogeneous and the transparency would be distorted by the parts being so uneven.
May 03, 2009 05:28AM
Yes RepRap can print PLA, which is clear transparent filament, but as Tom says the results look like this: [blog.reprap.org]

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 03, 2009 03:47PM
drat. looks like i'll have to use normal display methods my art then. I made a recent model that comes with a kinda of glass dome display on a base. XD
thanks guys.
May 08, 2009 01:40AM
You might look at Viktor's work with syringed epoxies and LEDs , I know that some epoxies are very clear and if the layers join smoothly internal reflection might not be a problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login