Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noob Extruder Jam

Posted by hkazmi 
Noob Extruder Jam
May 31, 2013 08:27PM
Just assembled my very first 3D printer from a kit, it comes with a assembled Extruder,

this one [www.a2aprinter.com]

Its the G1 Mix on the same sight, everything is working per say, x,y,z, extruder but I can't get it to start printing.

I got 0.34mm nozel with 1.75mm ABS.

Basically, it seems my PTFE is getting too hot at 235 and the ABS melts in their jamming the whole thing, I have to remove it, drill the jammed ABS and try two with lower temperature, say 200 deg C. But now the nozzle is not hot enough.

I have tried 200, 215, 235 and 255 deg C.

Just get JAM and no prints sad smiley

Could the brass tube+nozzle have a permenant jam in it. I would guess those get hot melting the ABS.

Please help.
Re: Noob Extruder Jam
June 01, 2013 06:48PM
I see not much response.

Question, should I be trying higher temperatures, whats a safe limit?

I read somewhere some ABS need 260C to melt and I tried going to 255C.

How high can I go.
June 01, 2013 06:55PM
Odds are no one can help because it is a hardware issue. That type of hotend is notorious for problems and you would be far better off to buy a hotend known to work well. J-head from hotends.com (not a fake one) or a Makergear hotend are well known to be good reliable hotends.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 16, 2013 11:24AM
I had same problems, I think the design only works ok with 3mm. or they drill the 1.75mm version too small for common filaments, there's huge pressure before even getting to the nozzle(and yeah the tube gets way too hot).

I was able to print some things with it, but with quite a lot of stringing.
I'm in process of switching it to a j-head.

I got another printer.. but wouldn't recommend the mixg1 kit to anyone who can't do mods on it. it's a cheap kit though and would be pretty nice if they switched the extruder. even if meant upping the price by 30 bucks.
(also the psu I got with it blew already.. one cap was loose)
lassi
June 18, 2013 01:02PM
I seriously recommend going for a j-head or some other like it. works well now. if you use the carriage that comes with it, you'll need to drill two holes to the j-head mounting plate. so get the acrylic mounting plate and you'll have easier time drilling..(I got alu). you'll also need to dremel the center hole on the carriage a bit bigger. but with those mods it fits fine and works fine and basically turns the printer from unusable to a fairly nice reprap style 3d printer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login