Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why only brass hot end?

Posted by victorjung 
Why only brass hot end?
May 21, 2013 10:46AM
Hi, i am new to reprap ans i am thinking about building my own. I was wondering why almost every one is using brass for the hot end nozzle and barrel? steel or alloy are much easier to find and cheaper! any thougts?
Thanks for giving your opinion!
Re: Why only brass hot end?
June 08, 2013 01:57PM
Brass is much more thermally conductive than steel and it is much easier to work with, which is very important when drilling tiny 0.4mm holes.
June 11, 2013 11:50AM
What about aluminum?

I'm new myself. I actually just made my account to ask this question lol.

But I've been lurking for a while, doing reseach for a build I'm planning, and I was wodnering the same thing. I tend to make a lot of things from aluminum (mostly because I can do limited machining of it, using my drill press and a small X/Y vise).

I've noticed that most hotends seem to be brass, and I was wondering if thats just because brass fittings are easier to find, or is the material actually better suited for the application?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2013 11:52AM by TheJones.
mcp
June 12, 2013 04:18PM
Hi,
as far as I heared, the noozle itself made from aluminium is easy breakable ;-) Just once hitting the printbed hard and you will get a different diameter on the orifice.
So Heaterblock aluminium, Noozle and heater brass, and stainless steel as thermal break, and aluminum for cooling.

A good example is the E3D V4 or the reprap-fab V3 or Organ-Pipe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login