Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

air drying or non drying. Rock & a hard place

Posted by splitcock 
air drying or non drying. Rock & a hard place
January 28, 2009 10:51AM
Hello Folks,

Ive got a dilemna thats been driving me nuts. I want to transform an object using clay, then make a mold of it to cast in resin. The problem I have is in choosing between two precarious routes: 1) I build on the initial object using a non-drying clay so that I can get good adhesion without cracking or shrinking. (I also foresee this as providing a more seamless addition to the initial object ) but the downside is that I wont be able to brush on silicon without affecting the clay underneath. Alternatively I go for 2) Use an air-hardening clay so that I can brush silicon on without fear of damaging or distorting the clay but will it shrink, crack and make joins between clay/object visible.

Thanks for listening.
Re: air drying or non drying. Rock & a hard place
January 28, 2009 11:17AM
You sure got a problem there. smiling bouncing smiley

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
January 28, 2009 11:28AM
At school we use "giotto pongo" for modelling with clay. Its some sort of hard clay that is usable when heated. You dont need to add any water with it. Have you tried these kind of clay?

And what do you mean with "affecting the clay underneath"? That it begins to transform?
January 29, 2009 05:02AM
Cheers Hombre Seeker,

Ill look into giotto pongo ( great name ) What I mean by affecting the clay underneath is distorting the soft sculpted form by dragging a brush loaded with silicon across it. If the object is rigid, of course this doesnt happen but i doubt that a drying clay would maintain seamless contact with the object ( Its a plastic plug btw )

Appreciate your input.

Alex
January 29, 2009 06:57AM
Could you use something like car body filler instead of clay?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login