Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA First layer not sticking

Posted by jblorch 
PLA First layer not sticking
April 23, 2013 01:52PM
Good news is I had a successful first print that looks pretty good except a little warping on the edges (cube).

My problem is getting the print to start the first layer. It doesn't stick to the bed very well and as a result curls up onto the nozzle. I'm running at 60C print bed and 195 extruder nozzle. Increasing the temp is just going to warp the part more, so I don't want to do that.

Any suggestions how to get that first layer to stick well?

Thanks!
Re: PLA First layer not sticking
April 23, 2013 04:59PM
Clean the bed whilst warm with appropriate cleaner. I use window cleaner or acetone, and occasionally when doing large prints, venture into using pva glue mixed with water or just trying out some kapton tape but pla sticks too well.
April 23, 2013 11:49PM
This is just awful.. I use acetone on every print and the filament that is extruded just curls up onto the nozzle. I've tried changing temperature, extrusion ratio, layer thickness... nothing. It somehow finds a way to stick to the nozzle and ruin the part.

Any ideas?
April 24, 2013 05:44AM
Are you sure you have got the first layer height correct? And the first layer extrusion amount set correctly?
May 19, 2013 11:48PM
I'm having the same exact issue. My z-axis endstop is set to where a folded sheet of 24 lb paper slides under the nozzle with a slight rough feeling. First layer height is 100%, 0.3mm layers. I clean the glass with 90% isopropyl alcohol, run the bed at 85C for the first layer, and extrude PLA at 195C for the first layer. Extra plastic stuck to the nozzle is scraped away, cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, and the nozzle is coated with WD-40 (also tried tri-flo silicone lubricant). I still have the same problem as the OP with PLA not sticking well to the bed, resulting in it getting caught on the nozzle and messing up the print.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login