Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

new build problems

Posted by kendallickes 
new build problems
December 07, 2012 10:24PM
i'm new to all of this. i have just finished building a mendel max, however i am having problems with my extruder drive striping out the filament when it is printing. so far i havent got more that an minuet or two into a print without it doing this. i have read all the troubleshooting i can find. does anyone know where i can find more information? is it maybe something in the software setup? i had thought it was pushing faster than it thinks perhaps? thanks,
Re: new build problems
December 09, 2012 06:47PM
I had this problem initially (stiill do with abs which is why I'm printing in pla atm). For PLA i found some advice which recommended compressing the extruder springs so tight that the extruder motor stalls and then backing off, and this has worked for me (one thing to watch out for is having your nozzle too close to your bed which makes it almost impossible to extrude anything and causes the filament to strip. ABS as far as I understand is much softer so you need a lot less pressure so you can't take the approach of stall the back off, so you just have to find a happy spring compression that doesn't strip (by trial and error cleaning your hobbed bolt each time smiling smiley ) If I'm wrong about ABS I'd love to hear though I'm waiting for my next attempt till I have a second hotend.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login