Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Play in Wade's Extruder Large Gear?

Posted by Karmavore 
Play in Wade's Extruder Large Gear?
October 03, 2012 10:51PM
Hello, all. I'm working on my first printer, a Mendel, and I have a question about the extruder.

I have a Wade's, and it has come together very well. My self-hobbed bolt works great. I can pull on the filament and spin the large gear. But I'm suspicious of something.

The hex-head on my M8 bolt that fits into the large gear is smaller than the hex depression in the gear itself. That upshot of this is that the large gear can spin a fair amount without the M8 bolt (about 3 gearteeth worth). When I see these on video, I see this gear flipping direction frequently, and that kind of slack doesn't seem good to me.

So...
Am I right to be concerned about how it is going to work?
If so, what can I do about it? New bolt with a larger head? Some form of a hardening agent in the hex depression?

Thanks for the help,
Brad
Re: Play in Wade's Extruder Large Gear?
October 04, 2012 12:04AM
So let me tell what I've done while I've been thinking about it. I've wrapped the hex head in about three layers of electrical tape, and all the play is gone. My concern, too, subject to any comments about what I experienced (common?) and what I've done (unreasonable?)

As a software guy, I'm going to have to recalibrate my brain for these kind of hardware issues. eye popping smiley
Re: Play in Wade's Extruder Large Gear?
October 04, 2012 12:21AM
You do not want the play and the tape is a little bit of a hack but it should work just fine. You could also use some crazy glue or epoxy as a more permanent method.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login