Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printed Circuit Boards

Posted by willpost 
Re: Printed Circuit Boards
November 26, 2008 03:37AM
I have great hopes for reprap'd circuits. Particularly in the deposited conductor form. Currently, the best chance appears to be conductive polymers. Conductive epoxy is too expensive to be practical and requires mixing. If we can deposit the polymer well enough, we should be able to build 3D circuits--Massive applciations.

I had wondered about sintered copper powder, but that looks like it requires too much pressure.

I've been trying to find info on thick-film paste, but I haven't gotten anything useful yet.

I'm in contact with a couple Chem Ph.D's and an engineer who I'm hoping will help out with this project. If I get info from them, I'll post it here.

My goals are .1mm traces, .1mm spacing to allow connection to modern BGAs. "solder" would be conductive epoxy or direct application of wet conductive polymer.

Boards would be assembled by repraping a frame that holds all the components upside-down then fabing the PCB on top of the components. They naturally get bonded to the conductive polymer as part of the fabing process.

Etch resist is not an elegant solution.
VDX
November 26, 2008 04:10AM
Hi Annirak,

AFAIK copper-dust isn't suitable because of massive oxidisation of the particles.

Most conductive pastes i know use silver-flakes in polyimide and are heat-cured.

What's possible too are silver-flakes in acetone or another easy evaporating solvent, but then you haven't a solid/rigid material, so this would only work with embedded trays or vias only ...

Viktor
November 27, 2008 04:44PM
Hmmm... there is another option. Carbon impregnated PLA is a weak conductor, but it is conductive enough for electroplating.

Do you think it's viable to print then plate? It would mean that the fabbing process would have to be stopped for each layer of circuit, which adds the requirement of an alignment system which, AFAIK, reprap does not have.

Attachment methods for components would be either low-temperature solder or conductive epoxy.
VDX
November 27, 2008 04:54PM
... look here: [forums.reprap.org] for another methode.

Viktor
November 27, 2008 05:17PM
The current recommendation for Mendel uses low-melt metal. The channel size is something that I was trying to get away from due to the limitations that it causes.

See here for the work done on Mendel at U of Bath
[staff.bath.ac.uk]
VDX
November 28, 2008 03:41AM
... thanks for the info, should be interesting for some other problems i actually have too ...

Viktor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login