Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Source of masterbatch colors/pellets?

Posted by wanderingjew 
Source of masterbatch colors/pellets?
June 07, 2012 10:16PM
I'm doing a few experiments with making my own filament at home. Things are going well, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to add color to the ABS pellets I'm currently using.

The literature tells me that plastics have color added to them with a material called 'masterbatch' - plastic pellets that have very high concentrations of pigment in them. When adding these to white plastic pellets, it's possible to make any color imaginable.

For the life of me I can't find a source for a not insane quantity (I only need a few kilos of a few colors, not a metric ton) of masterbatch. I've tried the usual Chinese vendors/Alibaba route, and searched through hell and high water on Google. Nothing. It doesn't look like this is possible for the home reprapper.

Ideally, I'd like 1 kilo each of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black ABS masterbatch. If anyone knows where this is available, please reply to this.
VDX
Re: Source of masterbatch colors/pellets?
June 08, 2012 02:54AM
... where are you located?

I'm in Germany and in my hometown we have a company mixing all sorts of pigments and materials to pellets for other companies.

Sometimes I'm visiting their lab and get some probes in gramms or kilogramms ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 08, 2012 05:50AM
VDX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... where are you located?
>

In the US. Pennsylvania, specifically.

If I could even get 100 or so grams each of cyan, magenta, yellow, and black I'd have more than enough for a few year's worth of experiments. Masterbatch is usually added to the base plastic in ratios of 25:1 to 100:1. I don't need much , but I just can't find a source.
Some people were unhappy when Gandhi made his own clothing also.

If there is not a monopoly control to stifle innovation, someone will start a market to sell those pellets at a reasonable mark up, and the location of those areas will be available on the internet. Also huge databases of different designs will quickly start to compile as many people add cad designs makable by 3d printing.

Robert Eastwood
August 26, 2012 08:18AM
@wanderingjew

Did you read this?
[www.chinamasterbatch.com]
Perhaps they could supply.

By the way, could you tell more about your homemade filament? What kind of plastic are you recycling? Good printing result?
Hey
I noticed you are looking to make colored plastic by adding colorant. But I found that there are plastic providers that will do that for you. I run a company that has started to sell raw plastic pellets. We have a few color options as of now, but what we do offer is a variety of types of plastic. We also have a bunch of inventory that is not posted, plus some colorants, and recycled plastics. Go to my webpage www.osprintingllc.com and contact us. We can work something out and get you hooked up.

Rob Burnham
September 06, 2012 12:54PM
For an American company try Amco in Farmingdale, NY: [amco.ws]
masterbatch maufacturers
September 19, 2012 05:40AM
Factors are going well, but I'm thinking if it would be possible to add shade to the ABS pellets I'm currently using.
Masterbatch is usually included to the platform nasty in percentages of 27:1 to 100:1. I don't need much , but I just can't discover a resource.
September 25, 2012 01:46PM
What kind of masterbatch you're using? Usually silicon masterbatch has found its usage in different industrial sector and highly recomended by the clients due to its best performance.

sticker printing | custom stickers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login