Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Purpose of PTFE inner sleeves?

Posted by fyrebug 
Purpose of PTFE inner sleeves?
April 30, 2012 11:13AM
I see some hot ends have inner ptfe sleeves/tubes, others don't. for instance makerbot uses it on their mk5,6

I'm just curious what the purpose is. wouldn't a sleeve block some of the heat from reaching the filliment and hurt it from melting?
is it an attempt to stop the heat from traveling up the tube? becuase the metal outer tube would tranfer heat upwards anyways no?
it just seems like one more part that can wear down, move out of place. but I'm trying to design a print head to learn a bit more and I'd like to know if these are a good way to go.

thanks everyone~!

-Adam
Re: Purpose of PTFE inner sleeves?
April 30, 2012 11:38AM
At the transition zone, where the plastic has passed its glass transition, but is not molten it is like rubber. That causes it to expand and grip the sides of the barrel. If the coefficient of friction is above a critical limit it will jam. The transition zone either has to be very slippery, hence PTFE, or have an increasing taper, like the draft on a mould.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
April 30, 2012 12:06PM
thanks nophead.
I don't understand the draft though. if it gets narrower wouldn't thatforce it to jam up more not less? how does that overcome it?

thanks
April 30, 2012 12:43PM
It has to get wider lower down, not narrower, see [hydraraptor.blogspot.co.uk] and [hydraraptor.blogspot.co.uk].

April 30, 2012 02:12PM
ok that makes much more sense. thanks nophead.
May 01, 2012 09:41AM
nophead, sorry another question.

which did you find works better? the ptfe for slip or simply reaming out the metal hole? it seems like reaming it might not work as well, but would hold up longer. I've never had a ptfe inner sleeve wear out, but I imagine it could over time.

at the end of the day it just seems like one less part which is nice, so if it works I'd love to go that route..
May 01, 2012 10:13AM
An all metal extruder lasts forever but it needs a heatsink and a fan. One with PTFE can be smaller and lighter but the PTFE needs to be totally constrained inside PEEK. Thin walled PTFE pipe soon fails in my experience. It has to be something like 8mm OD as in the J-Head.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login