Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What do you need to make UV-curing resins?

Posted by spota 
VDX
Re: What do you need to make UV-curing resins?
September 25, 2012 08:48AM
... check his site: [spotamaterials.com]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Hello Spota;
Considering your recipe for uv resin. 0.74 euro for 100gr. So it will be 7.4 euro/kg. I use uv gel or liquid for filling cracks on marble and the uv resin I buy is about 2.5 euro/kg. I dry it with my machine which has two mercury UV lamps, quite strong radiation.
My question is how can I convert polyester resin into UV polyester resin which will cost about 2.5 euro/kg or less. I buy polyester resin in barrels at 1.7 euro/kg. Are there alternative ways which I can make the UV resin in a cheaper way?
Amir
May 16, 2013 04:01PM
HI Spota

Many thanks to sharing this nice information.
Im about to make a DLP 3D printer with Uv lamp.
I need to reach for 50 um layer tickness or less in curing for smooth surface.Is this possible for above formulation anc composition?
VDX
May 16, 2013 04:32PM
... for thinner layers you have to add more opaque additive (colour) to the resin and adjust the optical resolution and curing time per slice accordingly.

In the German CNC-forum detail-accuracies and layer heights with only 10microns accuracy were printed with adding more colour and a reducing lens to the DLP-beamers optic ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

May 16, 2013 07:44PM
just a couple of question, will there be a output for the resins ready mixed for those who can build the necessary machine but have no where to mix chemicals safely as myself i have a shed i can store chemicals but don't have the space to safely mix, also instead of a lamp can you use a blu ray to cure it?
VDX
May 17, 2013 01:47AM
... AFAIK you can buy ready 'blended' resins suitable for the common 405nm-wavelenth ... otherwise the only additive to add (and mix) is the colour.

I've modified 4 different DLP-beamers for 'lamp-less' operation and insert either BluRay-laserdiodes (405nm @300mW) or high-power UV-LED's (with 405nm too @9Watts) as light source ...

Viktor
--------

Any idea how well the recipe from the first page cures under 405nm light, or how it should be modified?
Also where to find premixed stuff?
hi I am abu
I would like know to how to make uv varnish (epoxy) to manufacture to home made pls let me know about its
formulas and others deails.

thanks

abu
September 14, 2013 05:24AM
VDX

I've modified 4 different DLP-beamers for 'lamp-less' operation and insert either BluRay-laserdiodes (405nm @300mW) or high-power UV-LED's (with 405nm too @9Watts) as light source ...

Last night I was searching for UV led's, only seem able to get them from China,
is 10watt enough or should I go for 30- 50watt, do you have any idea of the cure time for each wattage.
for example, is 20watt twice as quick as 10watt, or is it not linear ?.

Random Precision
VDX
September 14, 2013 05:24PM
... when using with a DMD-chip, you should first test,what's the maximum exposure to the UV for the sealings and joints in the chip -- they tend to wreck when UV-treated too hard!

But then too, double power should result in half curing time and/or nearly double curing depth when using diffusor additives in the resin ...

Viktor
--------

September 14, 2013 07:23PM
Victor
Trying to get a rough idea of build time, with 10 watts UV LED, how long to cure a .050 layer, just a ball park figure would help.

Random Precision
VDX
September 15, 2013 06:47PM
... don't know, would have to test with the different possible parameters.

The curing time depends mainly on energy density and reaction mechanism - so with 10 Watts on a square of e.g. 200x100mm it could be as fast as some microseconds to seconds when the reaction mechanism fits or if it needs a slightly different wavelength than 405nm to start ...

Viktor
--------

September 17, 2013 02:34AM
can anyone give me some idea of the cure time for a single layer, I think creation workshop has a default of 2 seconds, is this optomistic or realistic.
I know it all depends on a lot of factors, but if you have built a DLP 3dprinter, what times do you get.

Random Precision
VDX
September 18, 2013 04:53PM
... depends on the image size or the energy density - with reducing lenses and images of e.g. 30x20mm it's some ten to hundred microseconds, with 300x200mm it's around 10 to 20 seconds with the same UV-source.

I have two high energy UV-LED's with 9Watts @405nm, that can do some good work -- but even better and faster with a pulsing N2-TAE-laser with 337nm that emits 200ps short pulses with up to 30Hz repetition rate ...

Viktor
--------

October 13, 2013 07:27AM
I would like to do some testing to mix the resin uv, can you give me some links to buy basic products to be mixed?

Thank you
VDX
October 13, 2013 04:32PM
... read the first posts of this thread - Fernando postet some receipes of his first formulas there ...

Viktor
--------

October 14, 2013 10:17AM
yes, I read but there are no directions on where to buy the products of the mixture. Can you help me?
thank you. there a re other post like this?
VDX
October 14, 2013 02:21PM
... you can try to ask Fernando and/or read through the linked ressources here: [3dlprint.com]

Viktor
--------

February 09, 2014 02:44PM
Sorry for this noob question, but is this uv curable resin the same one used in stereolithographic printers? I'm going to get one soon and it is impossible to buy the resin in my country and buying and shipping is very costy and takes weeks.
VDX
February 09, 2014 02:55PM
... yes, it's the same ...

Viktor
--------

February 09, 2014 03:36PM
Thanks. Also i dont need to process it with uv light if I'm making it for a laser printer right?

And two more question i got:

Any way to make the resin more flexible like these? [www.youtube.com]

And is the resulting resin hamrful if I'll for example use it as a mold for chocolate pieces?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2014 03:49PM by e154228.
VDX
February 09, 2014 07:06PM
... of course, it's cured with UV -- so you'll need an UV-laser, like a 405nm-diodelaser or better an UV-emitting gas-laser like a HeCd-laser.

Making it flexible is either made by the chemistry/molecular assembly or by special additives, that gemerates flexibility while preventing cracking of the hardened material.

Uncured resin is moderate toxic, while completely cured resin is chemically inactive and so mostly 'foodsafe' ... but you should better select it for this use ...

Viktor
--------

February 10, 2014 04:18AM
Any ideas what to add to try to make it more flexible?

And what will you suggest to do to make sure the resin is fully cured after printing?

Thanks for all the help.
VDX
February 10, 2014 05:47AM
... don't know the assembly, but you can buy it ready mixed (Spot-E elastic): [spotamaterials.com]

Should be enough to put the part in open sunday for a day ... or build an "UV-curing cabinet" with several strong UV-emitting lamps or high-power LED's ...

Viktor
--------

February 13, 2014 03:58AM
id still like to know what can be mixed to make the resin more flexible. The reason I wanted to try to make my own resin instead of buying in the first place was because shipping to my country adds a large amount to the cost.
February 18, 2014 02:19PM
btw, whats the shelf life of these chemicals?
VDX
February 19, 2014 04:14PM
e154228
btw, whats the shelf life of these chemicals?

... depends on mixture and storing conditions - comercial resins mostly 'guaranteed' around 3-6 months storing, my samples from fernando are still fluid and sensitive after 2 years now winking smiley

Viktor
--------

February 19, 2014 08:47PM
damn that aint long at all...
May 15, 2014 01:51PM
Hi, I'm not sure if this thread is still active, but if it is will someone please tell me if I put in just one or both of the components, this may seem like a silly question. The way I see it, if I put in just one the resin components probably won't work, but if I put both in within a matter of minutes it will begin to harden. Or do the other ingredients prevent it from hardening until it comes in contact with UV light? Thanks
VDX
May 15, 2014 02:12PM
... what type of resins/components?

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login