Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Electronics choice

Posted by AndrewD 
Electronics choice
August 05, 2011 02:24PM
Getting the bits together for my build, but the one thing that has changed dramatically is the electronics!

As I understand the Gen 3 was 'standard' but the newer boards are quicker and some are integrated.

I'm quite keen to have the printer run without the PC running, so the RAMPS looks like a solution for SD card running, but is the Gen6 better?

Any-hoo, tips would be great as I've been trying not to mix new and old information.confused smiley

Andrew

Based in Slough, United Kingdom
Re: Electronics choice
August 06, 2011 09:29AM
I would suggest sanguilolu or RAMPS, basically all the main components are on Daughter boards so if something breaks, you only have to replace the broken component rather than the whole board (especially if you don't have a surface mount repair capability)

Gen6 will be more electrical noise tolerant due to the single board.
August 06, 2011 02:23PM
Thanks for the reply. smiling bouncing smiley

Can the Sanguilolu use an SD card or other 'offline' device?

Andrew

Based in Slough, United Kingdom
August 08, 2011 06:38AM
The SD card operation is still very prototypish, it's not impossible, just not very well developed.

Sanguilolu

No the board doesn't directly support it, unsure if you can expand to it.
September 09, 2011 05:22PM
Sanguilolu does have SD card support using the newer 'sprinter' firmware. Not set it up myself yet, but I believe it talks to it the same way as the RAMPS hardware does.

Incidently, there's a Build party being arranged in the Thames Valley area. You can sign up here : http://tvreprap.eventbrite.com/
March 16, 2012 11:21PM
Sorry guys bit rude not to have posted back sooner, life got a bit hectic so only tonight have I had a chance to start building and it's all changed!

Any UK meets in the future?
March 19, 2012 08:51AM
Hi Andrew

The Thames Valley RepRap User Group is going strong now, see [www.tvrrug.org.uk]
There is actually a presentation by founder member Malcolm Napier tomorrow night at Copa Bar in Reading. If you can't make that, the normal meeting is on the last Tuesday of the month, again at Copa Bar. However, this month I'm not sure if it will happen as we are planning some calibration meetings for the 20 people we have been helping build printers at the Reading Hackspace [www.readingmakerspace.co.uk]
We also have a google group too: [groups.google.com]

Regarding electronics, both RAMPS and Sanguinololu are good choices for electronics, but both need an extra board to provide SD card functionality. Also, both use a stepper motor driver sub-board that is surface-mount, and four of these have to be bought. If you are keen to wield a soldering iron and build as much of your reprap yourself, one of the TVRRUG members has developed a set of electronics that is entirely through-hole for easy(ish!) home soldering, and has an SD card slot built-in. More importantly, it is compatible with current firmware of choice, Marlin.
March 20, 2012 06:03AM
I'm going to try and make the COPA bar tonight, good opportunity to meet people.

I've ordered RAMPS as there is no availability on the TVRR version and when I asked it triggered a debate on copyright/left/CERN/Open source!
May 08, 2012 07:48AM
Hello everyone,

Rather than start a new thread electronic's thread, thought I might bump this one up... Is anyone using the R2C2 all in one boards for their builds?

Or should I stick to seperate boards for the controller & drivers to avoid losing the the board should one of the drivers fail?

I can see a few people are having success with a Gen7 & merlin v1 combination.

(I'm also new to this and starting to source parts for a build and wanted to know if there are any known issues with these boards.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 07:51AM by fuzzy_logic.
May 16, 2012 01:54PM
I'm not using the R2C2, but I was planning to, until I saw their prices : half the whole machine cost is too much for me.

Anyway, the choice is depending on what you want out of your electronics :
Expandability ? Ramps ! (while the last 1.4 Gen7 seems promising too).
Cheap cost but no assembly ? Sanguinololu or its Azteeg son.
Cheap cost and DIY ? Gen 7 !

And many other options I'm forgetting about currently.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login