Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to this - Anyone around London/St Albans area?

Posted by PeterAF 
New to this - Anyone around London/St Albans area?
December 06, 2010 10:03AM
Hi,

I'm just starting to think about building a RepRap. I'm still very much at the planning/reading in stage but if anyone could help me out with some information I'd be very grateful.

From what I read I'll be needing a heated bed to avoid warping. I think I'll add that once I have some sort of basic Mendel working. Is there any useful/essential planning I should do while sourcing/building my Mendel to avoid unnecessary work/cost later on?

I'm trying to work out what to do regarding the RepRap produced parts. I'm considering making a Wolf Strap (http://reprap.org/wiki/WolfStrap-English) which looks like it would cost me £200 (+++ smiling smiley .
Does anyone have any comments on
- how hard it is to make?
- how effective it is at producing the RepRap parts once it's built?
- What I could use it for afterwards?

I've found the Google map of RepRap developers (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=117099291054388532447.0004409098b1c5b712553)
However, I can't work out how to add a pin for myself. Or how to contact other people (if it allows that?). I have a gmail account (and was logged in to google) but still couldn't work out what to do. Any advice?
If I want to try and contact specific developers, what's the best way?

If possible, I'd quite like to see a RepRap in action and some examples of what comes out. Is there anyone in the London or St Albans area that'd fancy shopping off their creation to me??

Thanks

Pete
Re: New to this - Anyone around London/St Albans area?
December 07, 2010 07:37AM
Pete
However, I can't work out how to add a pin for myself. Or how to contact other people (if it allows that?). I have a gmail account (and was logged in to google) but still couldn't work out what to do. Any advice?

1. Press "Edit" button (top left)
  2. Click on "Add a placemark" button (top left of map)
  3. Add placemark by clicking on the map
  4. Add descriptive Title and Text
  5. Press Save (top left)
  6. Press Done (top left)

Since there are several pages in Google Maps it is best to view the data with Google Earth (must have installed on your PC)!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
December 18, 2010 05:40PM
I finally added myself to the map.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 06, 2011 02:43PM
And finally I managed it too (I think - but in Brussels were I'm working)

Thanks for the help

Pete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2011 02:43PM by PeterAF.
January 14, 2011 04:57AM
Hi,

I just realised that my marker isn't 'sticking'. I put it onthe map but when I revisit it's gone again.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Pete
January 14, 2011 05:39AM
Again, as mentioned in my previous post - there are several pages of markers!

As already stated - at the bottom left hand corner!

THAT is why you should use Google Earth to view the entries, because it works as you expect it to.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
January 14, 2011 06:16AM
Bob,

Cheers for the response but that's not the problem. I knew that google maps does that annoying 3 page thing. But I'm not on any of them.

Somehow it just doesn't want to stay. I saw another thread where people had a same problem - [forums.reprap.org]
but there doesn't seem to be a definitive solution
(unless "Peter Flack ([email protected])" is hanging around the last page somewere & I've missed it - I'm trying to add it in Brussels)

sad smiley

Pete
January 14, 2011 09:53AM
Actually, you have two entries: Peter and Peter Flack

Peter

Just starting to build a RepRap (Mendel) - public@flackster.co.uk
Directions: To here - From here
Peter Flack

Just starting to build a Mendel 
Directions: To here - From here

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
January 17, 2011 06:30AM
Bob,

Thanks for that. I managed to force Google maps to show me the map that had me on it (as you say, twice). I had to keep clicking until it gave in and showed me the 'real' last map of three. So, I've made sure there's just the one entry for me now. Job done!

Cheers

Pete
January 17, 2011 08:10AM
Don't feel bad, I had the same problems (I had actually created 5 entries)!

It does make trying to keep your entry up-to-date a bit harder and viewing is only really useful using Google earth but hey, it's a free service.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
October 02, 2011 06:24AM
Thanks for the nice clear guide to adding a pin to the map. I have successfully added the Thames Valley RepRap User Group to the map.
You have made a good decision to consult this forum prior to embarking on starting a project like building a 3D printer which can use some time and expenditure and yet finish up being an unfinished white elephant if you have no use for it.

These machines have a fascination that can rivet you to the spot while you watch it create an item seemingly out of the blue. In my own case, I see it as a creator of both usable parts for many purposes, that can be created in many drawing programs, or, a mechanical artist with the power to generate complex art forms (also created as a drawing) that can be used as the original article, or as a scale impression that can be held and inspected before a decision is made to go ahead with the full size artefact and giving the decision maker a true impression of what they are investing in.

In my own case, I am a member of a sizeable model engineering club where many occasions arise where such a machine may create a vital working, or aesthetically pleasing part, but further, I also have a project in mind that will involve a printer to construct many items some of which may need a larger machine of far greater capacity.

My existing machine is converted from a light duty CNC milling machine with a possible capacity of 370 mm X axis, 250 mm Y axis and 160 mm Z axis, but I am restricted to 200 mm square which is the size of the heated build platform as used on many standard machines.

You do not mention your type of experience, or interests, and I am wondering if you have a convertible machine which can suffice while you discover your own interest level in this growing field of activity.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login