Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendel buildlog (UK)

Posted by plainnash 
Mendel buildlog (UK)
April 10, 2010 01:40PM
Hi all,

Just starting to build a Mendel and I've decided to do as good a job at documenting it as possible. However, seeing as the frame's already together and I'm shooting through the electronics without so much as a post, I thought I'd better knock something together soon!

[burningfingers.tumblr.com]

I'm using the cast plastic frame verticies in two seperate halves and the electronics from iprint3d.org. Both have worked out fairly well so far, although the frame parts did require some sanding and clean up to begin with.

Feel free to point out anywhere I'm going wrong and ways I could get this thing started faster!
All the best,
Dave
Re: Mendel buildlog (UK)
April 16, 2010 09:03AM
Nice to see someone else in the UK embarking on a build! Mine is only a few hours further on than yours - but stalled while I wait for parts!

Si
April 16, 2010 09:35AM
I've been looking over the wooden Mendel plans recently, might end up with a lot of the parts as wood to begin with.
Things like the pulleys will need to be RP though, so I'll be posting up a wanted advert soonish.

Whereabouts are you based Si? I'm in Oswestry, Shropshire but moving to Birmingham in Sept for uni. (Second time lucky.)
Have a look around for a hackerspace near you, I've found fizzpop (http://fizzpop.org.uk) in Brum who want a RepRap, so I'm mainly building it for the use of fizzpop next year.
April 16, 2010 10:28AM
I have a set of Mendel pulleys on eBay at the moment: [cgi.ebay.co.uk]

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
April 17, 2010 07:01PM
I'm in Horsham - near Gatwick Airport, so a fair way from you. There does seem to be a growing band of 'rappers' in the UK.

The last two years, I've exhibited stuff I've built at the Maker Faire in Newcastle. This year I took an Electric Freelander and an electric walking coffee table. It is my intention next year to go with the Mendel.

This year, there was one of the Makerbot Cupcake printers there - I wondered, if there are enough of us, we could have a RepRap stand?

Closer to the time, I'll put out a call on here to see if any of you are interested. Having multiple machines on the go will make a better exhibit and hopefully encourage more people to build one. The Maker Faire was great fun - worth a visit anyway!

Si
April 19, 2010 05:37AM
Hi guys -- i'm in the UK.

Just started reading about reprap again today - checked it out months ago - before the Mendel was out.

I'm going to have a look at the wooden parts design, and look into making my own.

plainnash - i'll be reading your blog smiling smiley
Can you add more details, such as the exact parts you got from iprint3d, and where you got your frame kit from?

Cheers guys!

Talk again soon.
April 19, 2010 03:12PM
I'll see if I can get to Newcastle this year, it does sound like a good visit tbh.
That's a damned impressive table as well Si, nicely done!

To mods: Can you move this to the UK usergroup please?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login