Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nema 17 step motor

Posted by Mphyssas 
Nema 17 step motor
April 28, 2012 09:49AM
Hi all,

I have been on the look out on eBay for some reasonably priced motors but have as yet to see any. The cheapest I've found from a supplier is about £12 each with £10 delivery from zapp.

Currently have pololu step sticks Allegro’s A4984 DMOS Microstepping Driver if this helps.

Any advice appreciated.
Re: Nema 17 step motor
April 30, 2012 03:13PM
Me again noticed a fair few people viewing this post but no answers and re-read my post and realised im not asking the right question. I am a newbie at repraping but have gone down the route of buying all the parts myself including soldering etc. my electronic knowledge is basic and although it was great fun soldering I just about understand what I was doing.

So for the motors drivers I bought the A4984 step stick but what I am reading online is just that this was a bad idea. But haven't found the reason why? Also haven't bought the motors yet as I understand which to buy but they seem very expensive. Just want to know if it is what it is and need to buy them and why the A4984 was a bad choice.

T
April 30, 2012 05:34PM
The A4984 is only x8 microstepping whereas most Stepsticks and Pololus do x16. It won't make much difference to the machine, perhaps slightly more noisy.

£12 is not particularly expensive for stepper motors in the UK. I buy mine from Zapp.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 01, 2012 05:29PM
Thanks. I was looking for the assurance I had made the right choice on the A4984. I take it this will make a slight difference to the actual quality of the prints?

With the motors I need to fork out the money for them, was hoping there were cheaper alternatives. Do you tend to buy them all at holding torque at 43.1N-cm or 4 at 31.1N-cm and 1 for the extruder 43.1N-cm?
May 01, 2012 08:15PM
The difference in positional resolution is 0.0125mm, so I don't think anybody is going to notice!

I get them all the same at 43.1N-cm, as higher torque motors run cooler for the same torque and higher torque also gives better positional accuracy when you take friction into account.

Beware the cheap ones on eBay. Some are 12V and are not suitable. Many are 2.5A and not ideal when the most you can get from a stepstick is 1A.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login